10 gallon advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you had any deaths or major problems or anything to warn me about?

I have had a Gsp die in me, for some weird reason! But I'd have another and it's doing great. I peppermint shrimp death, from not target feeding it well enough, and that's all so far! Knock on wood!

Evansimp, I just started my first nano as well. Is your HOB filter for larger amounts of water or is it one that filters more? Mine is 10 gallons and has a 5-15 aqua tech filter and I was thinking about switching it out with a marineland penguin 150. Do you think that's necessary?

My filter is the one that came with the starter kit. So it's a pretty weak filter! I think it's fine for my tank. I guess it's always better to has a bigger one, but for me, my small one is doing the job. I keep up on maintenance and water changes every week, so I think I could get away with a small filter!

Also, I use chemipure max in my filter! I forgot the name of it for a while! Haha

My filter is the one that came with the starter kit. So it's a pretty weak filter! I think it's fine for my tank. I guess it's always better to has a bigger one, but for me, my small one is doing the job. I keep up on maintenance and water changes every week, so I think I could get away with a small filter!

Also, I use chemipure max in my filter! I forgot the name of it for a while! Haha

Thank you! I think I may keep an eye on my parameters a little longer and see, since I keep up with water changes and I have no fish yet (other than a star fish.) what kind of heater do you have?

Figured I'd jump in here, your HOB filter will only be needed to run the chemical filtration of your choice. I.e. carbon, purigen, chemipure. The "filter" for your tank is actually the rock. This is where the nitrification occurs. Add a power head, heater and lights (not needed for the cycle) and you're off.

Awesome info. So if I have an HOB filter, is a power head needed for water movement or will the filter alone be okay in a 10 g?

Thank you! I think I may keep an eye on my parameters a little longer and see, since I keep up with water changes and I have no fish yet (other than a star fish.) what kind of heater do you have?

I have a basic heater! I'm gonna pick up a small tetra one from Walmart soon! I'm in San Diego so the weather isn't to cold here!

And I think youl need a powerhead! You should get a koralia hydor nano!

I have a basic heater! I'm gonna pick up a small tetra one from Walmart soon! I'm in San Diego so the weather isn't to cold here!

And I think youl need a powerhead! You should get a koralia hydor nano!

That's the heater I have in all of my small tanks. :) I am pretty new to the hobby so I always ask to make sure. I live in Texas, so I probably don't always need one.

Awesome. Looks like a good one. Do you have that powerhead? Does it disrupt the sand at all? How big is it?

That's the heater I have in all of my small tanks. :) I am pretty new to the hobby so I always ask to make sure. I live in Texas, so I probably don't always need one.

Awesome. Looks like a good one. Do you have that powerhead? Does it disrupt the sand at all? How big is it?

I have the smallest maxijet and it ken great. Works weird, and doesn't put out a nice diffused flow, more like a hard stream! Hydors are known for a nice flow! Mine used to disrupt sand, i found a place where it doesn't anymore. But I dont think hydors would blow it around!

Corals need flow! Without my powerhead, the tank looks dead

Awesome info. So if I have an HOB filter, is a power head needed for water movement or will the filter alone be okay in a 10 g?

You will need a power head. I would look into the Hydor Koralia Nano 425 to start with. It's pretty inexpensive and will offer you a nice broad flow. Having used these, i don't believe they produce the flow they advertise, but it will work in a 10g. Maxi Jets are good as utility pumps, but I'm not impressed with their flow as its more of a jet of concentrated flow. The flow within the aquarium (not from your HOB), is the life blood of the system.

You will need a power head. I would look into the Hydor Koralia Nano 425 to start with. It's pretty inexpensive and will offer you a nice broad flow. Having used these, i don't believe they produce the flow they advertise, but it will work in a 10g. Maxi Jets are good as utility pumps, but I'm not impressed with their flow as its more of a jet of concentrated flow. The flow within the aquarium (not from your HOB), is the life blood of the system.

I've heard from many a tank that small a hob will get the job done

You can try, but I think you will need a power head to keep the detritus suspended so that HOB can remove it. JMO though...

I will take that into consideration I've just heard from a lot of people a good hob will be fine there's gotta be multiple ways to have success so I just take in everyone's advice but it throws me off cause there's so many factors and no one does it the same

When i clean my tank I turn my powerhead off, my tank looks so dead! I think a flow is a must! If your going for natural... There is a current In the ocean!

When i clean my tank I turn my powerhead off, my tank looks so dead! I think a flow is a must! If your going for natural... There is a current In the ocean!

This is true but my aqua clear creates a current obviously not as much bit the ocean isn't on a budget lol

Now I just need rock and water

Attachments

• image-3222590306.jpg
    image-3222590306.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 70
  • image-150343394.jpg
    image-150343394.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 84
So I have a question if I buy live rock sand and the saltwater from my lfs do I have to do that month long cycle?

This is relive sand I have anyone ?

Attachments

• image-2976086551.jpg
    image-2976086551.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 80
This is relive sand I have anyone ?

Every cycle is different for every tank! It may take 2 weeks and it may take 6 weeks! Just keep testing the water. But I think by using live rock and sand that it will be more towards 2-3 weeks.

So I put in the live rock sand water that you buy from a lfs what's my next step

So I put in the live rock sand water that you buy from a lfs what's my next step

Your next step will be to get a raw shrimp for the grocery store and put it In pantyhose and leave it in the tank! This will be your ammonia source. The panty hose is the keep the shrimp together so its easy to take out

Back
Top Bottom