10 gallon advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zhuber

Aquarium Advice Freak
My lfs is selling a setup they had on display in there store for 200 dollars just curious if you think it's worth my wild its been runnin for a while I've seen it has a clown fish star fish shrimp a crab love rock and coral just wondering if 200 is a good deal.

Attachments

• image-1818795525.jpg
    image-1818795525.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 341
  • image-956676745.jpg
    image-956676745.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 338
  • image-2729474649.jpg
    image-2729474649.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 322
  • image-531814579.jpg
    image-531814579.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 335
No nevermind I just looked at pics. That's fake coral haha. I wouldn't pay 200$ for that.

My lfs is selling a setup they had on display in there store for 200 dollars just curious if you think it's worth my wild its been runnin for a while I've seen it has a clown fish star fish shrimp a crab love rock and coral just wondering if 200 is a good deal.

I don't know enough to give you real advice, but I do know that I just bought one really similar for $150.

Personally, I would just start fresh with a new tank! But it's up to you! I think it may be cheaper to do it on your own

Yeah real rock though and yeah everything included fish lights everything

The lights don't look like it would be good for corals... So you have to figure if you want a reef, then you need to get better lights which is easily 50-200$ I got a new 12 gallon off Craigslist for 40$ and after that, it was a good 140$ to get everything else before adding livestock....so keep that in mind. Also, this stuff was all new. This tank looks like it needs work, and you'd still need to buy a lot more live rock!

I got a ten gallon tank think you could help me out and write supplies and the cost of each one and ill get started maybe even directions to guide me. Basically like a recipe to do it and for success. Thank you greatly appreciated

I got a ten gallon tank think you could help me out and write supplies and the cost of each one and ill get started maybe even directions to guide me. Basically like a recipe to do it and for success. Thank you greatly appreciated

I'm fairly new to this as well, so I hope someone else helps out as well...

First... A filter! I have a very basic HOB on mine! And it works very well for me.

The you need to cycle your tank of course! Your gonna need about 10-15 lbs of live rock. (40-60$) Or base rock and seed it... Up to you! Some live sand 15$. You can cycle it with just that for now!

Lighting ... I got a light for about 60$ and it works awesome!! ... For now. Will probably crash on me soon... But let's hope not! You don't need good lighting till after your cycle when you start getting corals!

And a powerhead ... Which you will want to get as soon as possible during or after the cycle! Get a koralia hydor nano! (25$)

Hope this helps! I have a thread on my journey... And that will be a great reference for you! I got help from a lot of experienced people! And I started out just like you

I talked to the lfs I'm gonna get a big rock center piece then two little pieces then go with a aqua clear filter cause I have one on my 55 gallon freshwater tank then I'm gonna get the deep blue hood that comes with the t5 light. Am I missing anything?

I'm fairly new to this as well, so I hope someone else helps out as well...

First... A filter! I have a very basic HOB on mine! And it works very well for me.

The you need to cycle your tank of course! Your gonna need about 10-15 lbs of live rock. (40-60$) Or base rock and seed it... Up to you! Some live sand 15$. You can cycle it with just that for now!

Lighting ... I got a light for about 60$ and it works awesome!! ... For now. Will probably crash on me soon... But let's hope not! You don't need good lighting till after your cycle when you start getting corals!

And a powerhead ... Which you will want to get as soon as possible during or after the cycle! Get a koralia hydor nano! (25$)

Hope this helps! I have a thread on my journey... And that will be a great reference for you! I got help from a lot of experienced people! And I started out just like you

I'm excited I've been looking up stuff all night so I need a filter love rock and sand of course a t5 light what about a heater is that necessary? I'm getting ahead of myself but stocking ideas I was thinking a pj cardinal a goby shrimp a crab and snails. Is that to much? And I'd like to have three fish if you could or know of any good combos of fish I could get would be awesome I wanted a clown fish but I've read a lot of people have them then stay away from them and ten gallon so I'm on the fence with that. I'm so excited !

I'm excited I've been looking up stuff all night so I need a filter love rock and sand of course a t5 light what about a heater is that necessary? I'm getting ahead of myself but stocking ideas I was thinking a pj cardinal a goby shrimp a crab and snails. Is that to much? And I'd like to have three fish if you could or know of any good combos of fish I could get would be awesome I wanted a clown fish but I've read a lot of people have them then stay away from them and ten gallon so I'm on the fence with that. I'm so excited !

It depends where you are for a heater! I'm in Sam Diego and only needed a heater for winter. In summer I dont need them!

I have a goby/pistol combo and a clownfish and people say that is way overstocked... It's a lot about what you want! I feel my stock is perfect, but I wouldn't do 3 fish. That's a lot for a 10 gallon. Don't know much about cardinals, but I think they need more than a 10 gallon!

Best of luck on everything! It's exciting isn't it!

I live in Florida maybe ill get one to stay safe my lfs said cardinals would be ok I like cause of those big eyes looks like a cartoon fish in my opinion.

I bought a aqua clear power filter 30 I plan on getting the light sand and rock in a few days to start the cycle my lfs store sells rock that's already cycled and I could put it in bring my water in a few days later for them to test and buy fish what's everyone else's thoughts. I talked to them a while they had a nano setup talked to me how they did it and there were some people in there who started there own. Hope I'm in the right direction he said week or two is the water quality is ok adding fish is a possibility and a month for corals

I bought a aqua clear power filter 30 I plan on getting the light sand and rock in a few days to start the cycle my lfs store sells rock that's already cycled and I could put it in bring my water in a few days later for them to test and buy fish what's everyone else's thoughts. I talked to them a while they had a nano setup talked to me how they did it and there were some people in there who started there own. Hope I'm in the right direction he said week or two is the water quality is ok adding fish is a possibility and a month for corals

Week or two for fish and month for corals sounds about right! Take it slow! :) that's the best advice!

Haha just over 3 months now! Not long at all. I had little patience for this tank! And I rushed into buying some equipment and coral I didnt need or wasn't ready for! It's a learning thing! I'm still a total newbie so I hope someone with more experience jumps in! :) all the info I'm telling you is stuff I learned from other people and experiences from my tank! But man I love my tank! ?

Have you had any deaths or major problems or anything to warn me about?

Evansimp, I just started my first nano as well. Is your HOB filter for larger amounts of water or is it one that filters more? Mine is 10 gallons and has a 5-15 aqua tech filter and I was thinking about switching it out with a marineland penguin 150. Do you think that's necessary?

Figured I'd jump in here, your HOB filter will only be needed to run the chemical filtration of your choice. I.e. carbon, purigen, chemipure. The "filter" for your tank is actually the rock. This is where the nitrification occurs. Add a power head, heater and lights (not needed for the cycle) and you're off.

Back
Top Bottom