10 Gallon Reef Build?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattyfelts

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well it's not so much of a build from the start as a build from the middle. The tank has been running for around 4-6 months, is cycled and has corals. However this thread will be a journal following the rest of the tanks life .

Hardware

-Maxi-jet circulation pump rated at 110 GPH
- AC 20 with DIY surface skimmer and chaeto in both.
-Aqua-tech 10 gallon filter for mechanical filtration and surface agitation.
-Aqueon heater keeping a constant heat of about 78 *
- Glass lid to help evaporation.
- Par38 Rapid LED bulb.

Stock

- 2 Turbo Snails
- 1 Hermit

Corals

- Beautiful three mouthed ric, hopefully splitting soon.
- Colony of Eagle Eye zoas
- Two, isolated green button polyps.
- Random mushroom I got forever ago, however the rock has tonnes of caulerpa on it so i plan on removing the shroom and throwing the rock in my "pestish pico".
- 3 polyps of Radioactive Dragon Eye zoas

Current Issues

- Some hair algae, especially on the back glass. Turbos and water changes are decreasing this however.
- greenish tinted algae on sand, lack of flow, will upgrade powerhead soon.

Questions

- What should i stock this tank with, if anything at all.

Future Plans

- Possible new powerhead
- ATO system?
- Maybe an added on 10 Gal refugium

tank.jpg

Thanks for joining me on this journey!

Hey matty for some reason the pic isn't showing for me but it sounds like it's coming along. Have you thought about running some phosphate removing media in the hob?
For stocking I've always liked goby/shrimp pairs :). Coral wise I'd add some euphyllia for movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey matty for some reason the pic isn't showing for me but it sounds like it's coming along. Have you thought about running some phosphate removing media in the hob?
For stocking I've always liked goby/shrimp pairs :). Coral wise I'd add some euphyllia for movement.

I am running a poly-pad in the hob at the moment, as recommended by a member of #reefpack on instagram. I do enjoy a goby and shrimp pair but im not sure in a 10 gallon. Definitely looking into LPS, i was thinking more toward acans however. I think a hammer would be nice though.

actually bribo if you want to go to Instagram you can see basically all of my reef photos since they are all up there from the beginning of time. I am also having a small flatworm issue, there are just a few brownish ones hangin out on the glass.

If not goby/shrimp pair you could do some of the smaller eviota or trimma gobies.
I just checked it out, it looks good. I like all the open sand bed. Lots of room for acans or maybe an open brain?
I like to run phosguard in my hob, you just have to be careful not to overdose it as it strips phosphates pretty quickly

If not goby/shrimp pair you could do some of the smaller eviota or trimma gobies.
I just checked it out, it looks good. I like all the open sand bed. Lots of room for acans or maybe an open brain?
I like to run phosguard in my hob, you just have to be careful not to overdose it as it strips phosphates pretty quickly

Thanks, took a few trys to get the scape to work since i really wanted that open sand, i will forsure look into phosguard thanks man!

I'm sitting here in my sociology of families class and have officially decided, I am going to change my tank to barebottom. I can up the flow, keep it cleaner, possibly have sps. I am doing it, check back later when i start the big move

Okay so I got a lot of sand out and hopefully within the next two water changes I'll have 0 sand. Also got some new zoas!

Hahaha once they open. I'm at work right now so I'll see if I can get a pic tomorrow

so just kinda peaked at the zoas, its night time but with just my rooms lighting they had opened a bit. They seem to be bright green ish im not sure yet though.

I saw them slightly open this morning before leaving, they look really insane tbh like a bunch of different greens blending together

Hey, just found your build, and am loving it so far! I have a 10 gallon reef myself :p but I'm taking sociology next semester. Haha. Anyway, I know you mentioned getting an open brain. It's something I would highly suggest....their super awesome, and not high maintence I the least (because I think you'd be pretty busy with school and work.)

One other idea for a fish is a neon goby. I had one for a few years (they don't live too long, though.) anyway, I'd like to see pics of those zoas too. Keep up the good work ;)

Haha I'll try to get some but I have to do an assignment tomorrow really quick. Hopefully I'll be able to get a good pic soon, have three days off.

Back
Top Bottom