10 gallon reef process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright thanks! I'll have to see if LFS has any of those. I know most of them come as frags. When you add them to the tank are you supposed to keep them on the fragging stick? Or take them off of it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Alright thanks! I'll have to see if LFS has any of those. I know most of them come as frags. When you add them to the tank are you supposed to keep them on the fragging stick? Or take them off of it.

Depends really, some fast growing species (gsp, Xenia, it Kenya tree) I wouldn't glue directly to the main rock work, but for slower spreaders that's fine.

Depends really, some fast growing species (gsp, Xenia, it Kenya tree) I wouldn't glue directly to the main rock work, but for slower spreaders that's fine.

Glue?? What type of glue do you use?

Ok a 10 gal might not be the best option for them. The clown is for sure staying as I've DEFINITELY done my research and know people even keep pairs in 10's. The yellow tail is less than an inch and if he becomes a problem or I see that he is not happy, he will be removed. I'm not here to get bashed by the fish police, I know how to keep a tank up and running. I've had fresh and salt tanks for 6+ yrs.

I'm here to get help coral wise, cause I'm very inexperienced with that.

The marineland light I bought off Amazon was on sale for $100, regular like $200+. I read tons of reviews from multiple websites/sources and it can support low-medium light corals. Everyone had nothing bad to say about it.

I didn't see anywhere that a member was bashing anyone. I agree with Matty that you came asking for help and guidance and suggestions were put forward. I would tend to disagree about having done research just because you questioned "is it a problem" in regards to keeping a fish recommended for 30g in a 10g tank. But that's my opinion.

Jhawk if the damsel was added last and the clown has his territory claimed then the damsel shouldnt be a problem. Someone with a 5g nano had both in a reef. Ive noticed this forum either wants you to spend a ton of money or try bashing you on what fish you can and cant keep.

It's not the forum (or it's members) want you to spend a ton of money or are insistent on bashing people, it falls into the lines of ethical fish keeping as described in the community rules in regards to ethical fish keeping, located here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules which you may review at any time.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Super glue gel, cyanoacrylate as the active ingredient

Where can I get this? Also do you dip corals in anything before adding them to tank? I've read about some people doing this. Sorry for all the questions lol!

Where can I get this? Also do you dip corals in anything before adding them to tank? I've read about some people doing this. Sorry for all the questions lol!

Any hard ware store will sell it, I prefer loctite brand super glue gel. And yes I use coral rx to dip my new corals.

You shouldn't have to supplement if your doing 20% water changes every 1 or 2 weeks I don't in mine and everything's doing fine bigger tanks with lots of coral will need it but a 10 gallon will be fine and the natural salt water should have all the supplements you need. I would suggest getting a reef salt mix because smaller aquariums need more water changes and those boxes are pretty expensive. I would probably only use the natural ocean water to help beneficial bacteria

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You shouldn't have to supplement if your doing 20% water changes every 1 or 2 weeks I don't in mine and everything's doing fine bigger tanks with lots of coral will need it but a 10 gallon will be fine and the natural salt water should have all the supplements you need. I would suggest getting a reef salt mix because smaller aquariums need more water changes and those boxes are pretty expensive. I would probably only use the natural ocean water to help beneficial bacteria

See, if I started mixing my own water though, I'd have to get an rodi unit correct? That's the only thing hosting me back from getting salt mix.

You can get a small one for like 150 bucks and it connects right to your sink for drinking water. I don't have one but I helped a friend set one up. What I do is just get a 5 gallon water jug and bring it to my grocery store they have one u can use. If yours doesn't have one go to culligan or what what ever place that bottles water near you. The full 5 gallon jug cost me 12 bucks and it's $1.50 to refill

Actually go to Walmart, I believe all walmarts have a little self serve water center that u can fill your water jug with. It's only like a dollar or two. If it was a bigger aquarium I'd suggest getting an ro/di system but they are pretty spendy

If you do go the Walmart/grocery store route (I wouldn't) I'd strongly recommend getting a tds meter as the filters on most if those units aren't changed often enough for reef purposes. Also make sure it's an ro/di unit not just ro, distilled is better than just ro. Now I would highly recommend an ro/di unit of your own, it will pay for itself in short time compared to buying water. Brs has pretty frequent sales on there ro/di units so keep an eye out and you can probably get one for around $100, may sound expensive but it's the most useful piece of equipment to own when it comes to maintaing a successful sw tank.

My grocery store use ro/di and they change it monthly idk what Walmart uses but somewhere on it it will say what kind of filtration is on it and when the last time they were changed. I would check it out. An ro/di is more convenient but personally I wouldn't get one for a 10 gallon. In time it will pay off but is it worth it for something you'll use 2 or 3 times a month? I just fill the jug it's like 2 bucks a month and my aquariums just fine. I test my water weekly

My grocery store use ro/di and they change it monthly idk what Walmart uses but somewhere on it it will say what kind of filtration is on it and when the last time they were changed. I would check it out. An ro/di is more convenient but personally I wouldn't get one for a 10 gallon. In time it will pay off but is it worth it for something you'll use 2 or 3 times a month? I just fill the jug it's like 2 bucks a month and my aquariums just fine. I test my water weekly

A couple times a month? Weekly wc's and top offs I use mine every week. And you have a water quality issue in your tank, hence the gha, so that water may not be as pure as you think.

If I ever get a bigger tank (which will happen eventually) I'll get an rodi unit then, but for now I'd rather just buy premixed or maybe try out the ro water and mix it myself.

Quick question, do I need to spot feed my Duncan coral any kind of food weekly? And if so , how do I go about doing that.

Update.
Everything is still going smooth, coral looks great! I wanted to wait a few weeks before I got anymore just to be sure the one I had would do ok.

Fish are also getting along nicely!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416188747.060375.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416188779.949887.jpg

Oh and I was wondering if I could get an ID on the bubbly thing on my rock?? I noticed it was growing on one of them the other day?

Could be bubble algea, which I've read you want to try to remove without popping otherwise it spreads more quickly.

I love Duncan's. They will grow faster if they are fed but you don't have to target feed them. Mine usually catch some mysis or cyclops when I feed my fish. If you do want to target feed turn off your air heads/ pumps and use a turkey baster or syringe to squirt mysis directly at its mouth, not too much force or it will close up. Be careful not to over feed or you will contribute to algae problems.

Alright, so how do I go about removing the bubbly algae? Is there a certain way I should do it?

Back
Top Bottom