10 nano start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaJesseBetta

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just started up my first saltwater tank soon to be reef tank I have my sand filter and hob skimmer going and I'm off to my lfs to get some of their amazing purple live rock I'm going to start with a couple small peices for now and some chaeto for my hob filter now to start the cycle

Hello! Welcome! What are your plans for lighting? A par38 by reef koi would be amazing! I have one on my 10 gal. It grows all corals. It's also pretty cheap!

I order that exact one Thursday it comes in Tuesday thank you for the welcome my daughter wants a starfish and a nemo so I'm taking a dive in the salt water hobby I'm coming from a 46 bf cichlid tank a planted 55 angel and dwarf cichlid and a faux planted 20 long community first time sw and I decided to go small for now till I get the hang of it then maybe transform the 46 or the 55

End of day one chaeto in live rock in (well a small peice for now) everything is running good water is clearing up ready for this thing to cycleImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399784464.410676.jpg
Tank in progress(hopefully;))
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399784577.942160.jpg
HOB filter/refugium DIYish
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399784684.956520.jpg
Rio 2 skimmer/filter
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399784755.418442.jpg
DIY LED hood till I get my light in Tuesday

Welcome! Tank is looking good, always exciting to get your first SW tank :)

+1 adding all the liverock you plan on having is good to do all at once, the bb needs time to colonize.

I'm using cured rock from my lfs that's 10 min away and I'm not in a big hurry to get any livestock or inverts in it, my lfs said with the live sand and cured rock it should be getting cycled soon and adding a piece at a time wouldn't really hurt anything during the cycle anyway (I don't know this is my first time) and I'm on a budget so it's gonna be slow for me anyway thanks for the help though guys I would put all the rock in at once if I could but at $10/pound and 1pound per gallon it's just not gonna happen for me :)

Each time you add a piece of live rock you'll have a small ammo spike. Dry rock is usually half as much (if not less) as the live and will become live through the cycle.

For now I'm just putting live rock not planning on having any inhabitants til I'm done with the rock and everything is cycled testing perfectly water perimeters are all settled so putting the live rock in one piece at a time and causing ammo spikes I'm not worried about cause there will be nothing in the aquarium to harm but thank you

Day 3 update completely clear besides the micro bubbles the skimmer is making (part of the rio 2 skimmer/filter's break in process) but I'm loving the color of the rock I will be going in a couple days to get more ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399941167.107265.jpg

Nope they back ordered and my lfs just got 10 of these Eco green 18 inch 30 watt leds for $50 so I called and canceled

It was only 6 watts less and $35 cheaper than ebay so I said ill just cancel plus the guy on ebay from seaside saltwater said the back order would take 3 weeks

Back
Top Bottom