100% Water Change. Removing the sand and all new water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bstorer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone done a 100% water change before? I just did one a few days ago with great success. I am going to post a few pictures. If anyone is interested in doing this and needs advice on what I did, ask away!

Picture 1 shows the day before the 100% water change.

Picture 2 shows all the water out and the sand removed.

Picture 3 shows 1 hour after the 100% water change.

Attachments

• Before the 100% WC[1].jpg
    Before the 100% WC[1].jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 100% water change[1].jpg
    100% water change[1].jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 1 hour after 100% WC[1].jpg
    1 hour after 100% WC[1].jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 109
I can see how it can be done but what is the need to do it? I don't see a reason to change that much at one time if you do weekly water changes.

Caleb

Hey. I did it bc I wanted to remove the sand and figured it would just be easier to change out all the water, but I am sure there are people out there that may way to do it for other reason such as poor maintence. If you let you parameters get out of wack, sometimes getting caught up can be much harder than just doing a 100% water change and starting over.

I don't remember if there was reason behind removing the sand bed or not?
Either way, nice job. A 100% water change isn't always recommended since it could cause parameter shock, but if done right things can go well.

My LFS here in the Columbus, OH area doesnt use sand, I dont remember the reasons right off hand, but his tanks look amazing with the coraline covering the bottom of this tanks. He grows all his own coral in these huge 2,000 gallon holding tanks in a greenhouse her in Ohio. Below is his wesite.

Reef Systems Coral Farm, Inc. , Aquaculture, Frags, Livestock, Clams, Inverts, Columbus Ohio, New Albany,

I have a picture of his main display tank that has a huge clam, larger than a basketball.

Anyways, I took his advise, based on the quality of his tanks to remove the sand.

Attachments

• 20150708_184818[1].jpg
    20150708_184818[1].jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 100
Back
Top Bottom