10G nano journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey everybody, I was coming into my office to shut off computers before bed and I saw the two clowns swimming happily in the moonlight, thought I would post a few pictures to share:)

4302968690_155338ee1b_b.jpg

4302217053_fe11b57358_b.jpg

4302217931_f869dd12ce_b.jpg

haha yeah i guess, I couldn't get the focus right for them though, so I think they could be alot better. Maybe I will try setting the camera properly in the day, and then turn it on at night without moving it to get more crisp pictures...
Anyways this is the first time I have seen them out from the rocks at night, so I guess they are getting used to their new home now :)

Bristle worms grrr.... Bad for corals.

I disagree. I've had about 5 or 6 full out reef tanks and have had hundreds upon hundreds of bristle worms. They do absolutely nothing to corals. They might irritate a coral by crawling through it, but it does not harm the coral. They're good to have IMO because they eat all the junk in the tank. If you've got one, you've got 20 more hiding somewhere in there.

Ugly...yes
bad...no

good to know. I knew that it was unsafe to touch them, with your hands, but I wasn't sure if they were bad for the tank. Anyways I haven't seen that little guy in my tank for a while now, so I don't know if he is just hiding in the sand or he perished during cycling. I am leaning towards the latter.
For a small update, I think I got my protein skimmer adjusted properly now. It is filling with white foam about once a day, which I wasn't sure if it was working, but when somebody in another forum said to smell it to see if it is taking anything out I did and man did it stink. So I guess that mean it is working. It is also leaving a green residue on the sides of the collection cup where the foam touches, so I guess it is not perfectly white and clean lol.

Thats it for now, I do have one question though. Instead of doing one 10% water change a week, is it ok to do a small one each day. I am thinking like 2 cups of water a day. It is probably less than 2% of the tank, but I don't feel like doing the math, Well ok. 16 cups to a gallon means my tank has approx 8*16 cups =128 cups
2 cups per day * 7 days = 14 cups
14/128= 0.109
Therefore I am changing approx 11% of the tank per week, while causing less of a shock when I do it. Anyways does this work or did I miss something here?

What are your nitrate readings? And why are you thinking a larger pwc "shocks"?

Edited - Oh, I see now. The title of the thread... "10gallon Nano". So, do the pre-water change and the post water change reading differ a lot? Seen any thing going on in the tank post water change to make you think larger pwcs are a problem?

Last edited:
Nope there is nothing going on I just thought that it might put less stress on them, because there are most likely many substances in water that we can't test for, even RO water. Anyways too early to think right now I will edit this later to make it right lol.

Ok I have had my coffee so now I can respond with an educated response.

Austindad: There actually isn't a reason for changing to this method, as everything in the tank is going fine, minus the algae bloom, but it is under control. I just figure if you are changing 10% of their water over a longer period of time it would cause less if not no shock on them then changing it all at once. I might try it and see what my nitrates do as I won't be removing them with one mass water change like normal. Right now they are sitting at 3ppm, going down about 0.25 per day.

good stuff. Sorry about the clown loss. I was hoping to hear that one day he reappeared. my clowns have built a nest in the sand, they are so much fun. I need to get a moonlight.

at some point you may want to rearrange your rock. I see a nice flat piece on the right that would make a good shelf for GSP or a chalice. and you might want to make little holes buy loosening the stacking a bit.

Yeah I liked how I had it in my first picture a lot, because it was very spaced out. I will probably wait until I am happy with everything else before I change it though.

Small update and question, I moved my mushroom up to the top of the tank last week to see if it would like to be up at the top of the tank closer to the light. I guess it didn't because it never extended itself completely so I moved it back to the bottom. That was on wednesday and it still hasn't extended at all. Does anybody know what might be wrong? Is it jus too stressed out from being handled twice in only a few days or is there something else I should do? I noticed right in the middle of it however it started to change to white when it was up top, I would say about 1/16th of the entire mushroom, so I don't think it is bleaching. After moving it down to the bottom I think it is getting colour back, but I might just be imagining things. Anyways what do you guys think?

ok, I knew that I just didn't realize how sensitive they would be to light changes. Thanks austinsdad! I will let it sit for a few more days and then move it up and inch or so. As for flow, when reading about it I have seen anywhere between gentle flow, and high flow. Does anybody have experience with what they prefer and not what they will tolerate?

Ok thanks! Another question, and hopefully this won't cause a huge debate in the thread, but even if it does I guess it will help...

Anyways currently I have a 50/50 PC bulb over the tank. Also I have an Aqua-glo bulb which I think is 6700K, but don't quote me on that. Anyways I am thinking that I might switch the aqua-glo bulb out for an actinic bulb. So here is the dreaded question. What would be the best spectrum to promote coral growth, but discourage algae growth? Is Actinic only for our viewing pleasure and not for the benefit of the corals? Or is Actinic the light that corals need to grow?

Anyways I hope I haven't opened a can of worms, but it was just a thought I had that maybe I could slow down the algae that is still present. Thanks everybody, especially austinsdad!

Small update, I moved everything in the tank minus about half of the sand into a 20 gallon tank. I think this will give me increased stability and also an option to have different corals, as I think I was going to be limited in what I could get. Eventually I would really like to get an anemone, but I want more experience first.
My only question with switching so far is do you guys think the light I have will be enough for most corals? I figure the tank is only about 3" bigger all the way around (guestamite) so the actual intensity of light hitting the water will still be good. I have a PC 65W 50/50 over it right now, I also have the stock hood that came with the tank, and it is a 15W 18" T8 bulb so I might just pick up another actinic bulb and stick that in there, since I like the blue colour and it will give a little bit more light into the tank.

Ok everybody I have had an interesting day. I got up to take the pictures I promised and again another clown was missing. I don't get it, another clown is missing! I have no idea where it went, I didn't move the rock, but when I fed the tank it didn't come out. So after I got home I took a look again, and didn't see him. The lights were out so I was just going by the moonlight, but I saw the other one right away, but no sign of him. So I am once again frustrated as I have lost another clown mysteriously and no ammonia spike, or sign of him. Anyways I didn't end up taking the pictures so I will take some maybe tomorrow, hopefully he will show up by then, or I fear I may have lost my second fish. They looked so happy in their new tank too lol.

If you have a good CUC, you won't find a body if the clown died. Fish can't see lunar/moon lighting so it may be sleeping/resting somewhere in the tank. IMO, 20g is too small for an anemone as they will sting you coral when they try to find a location they like. I have had an anemone and had to take it back for that very reason. The light you have should be enough for softies. If you are looking to upgrade, I would go with a 4x24w T5 HO set up.

Ok great thanks thominil, I wasn't sure, and I probably won't do it. I would really like to start a large reef once I get out of school, (And win the lottery) so I will just wait until then. As for the clown I really hope it shows up, and it just needed to sleep today lol. After the tank stabilizes, and after a few more months I will add a few more corals, frogspawn being one of the first additions, as it looks really cool I think.
I will be adding a few more cuc members in the next few days, and maybe I will cure a little bit more live rock to add since now I only have 15 pounds in 20 gallons, but I am going to go really slow for the next little while as I am sure the entire system is a little stressed after the move. I will post pictures though pretty soon though. Thanks everybody!

Yes, keep us updated. Keep in mind like you said a move is a big and stressful thing for fish. You are bound to loss 1 every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom