10g Nano Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macscale

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone! A friend of mine asked me to make a log of her new reef that I am helping her with.
The tank is currently cycling and has been set-up since Saturday.

Tank Specs-
10g Tank
30g HOB filter (250gph)
100w Heater
2x 25watt 50/50 PCs
15lbs of Live Sand
21lbs of Live Rock

Parameters-
Ammonia->.5ppm
Nitrites- .05ppm
Nitrates- 1
PH- 8.2
Alkalinity- 8dkh
Salinity- 1.025/35

She would like some help on livestock if you have any recommendations.

Here's a Full Tank Shot
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392902436.876840.jpg

Sorry it's a crappy iphone picture.

It's only gonna be softies. It's gonna be as low of maintenance as possible. We may upgrade the lights soon. Probably to some kind of Par38 or Par30.

Went to test the water today. It's strange because the ammonia change into nitrites and today there was no Ammonia Nitrite or Nirtates... Strange. I did put some filter media from a cycled tank in there after I tested it though.

What kind of tank do you have. For some reason I can't see the pics on my phone.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's because your poisoning them by using them to cycle your tank. Cruel and unnecessary

I didn't ask for your opinion on a fish in cycle. Did I? I don't need you to come on here and tell me what and how to do it. I didn't mean they looked bad I meant the picture. The fish are perfectly happy. So stop. Because that is rude and unnecessary.

I don't really care if you asked for my opinion or not. How would you feel if you got locked in a closet and it was pumped full of carbon monoxide? Fish in cycles ARE cruel and unnecessary and are part of the reason people look down on this hobby. If someone else was thinking about going this route and after reading this they don't then it's a success. It's not faster or easier so there is no reason to do it, dosing pure ammonia or using a piece of shrimp is faster, easier, cheaper, and most importantly not risking the life of an animal. Don't get mad at me, those are just the facts

You know what. Shut up. A admin can kick me out if they want. I don't care. I've done fish in. I've done fishless. She had already bought the fish so I told her we could make it work. If you think gonna come on here and tell me this. Your dead wrong. I don't want you on here being rude to me.

Again it's not really for you, but if others read it and decide against a fish in cycle then the post was a success. Your gonna do what you want and I don't really care. That does not change the fact that fish in cycles ARE cruel and unnecessary. I'm not trying to attack you I'm attacking fish in cycles

Good for you. I don't recommend them personally. I cycled my tanks with shrimp, Dr Tim's, ATM Colony, #7 Live Nitrifying Bacteria, Liverock/sand. I've done fish in once, and let's just say that tank didn't last so long. So for people who do read this, don't do fish in. Sadly, most of my LFS are crap and lie straight to your face and smoke ecigs in front of kids. They also don't accept returns. So there is nothing I can do. And originally you did target your posts at me talking in the 1st and 2nd person. Also if you didn't just jump in, I had a thread be ore regarding how my friend wouldn't just take my word for it, and she would have to hear it from someone else. She told me she went the LFS and said "Start out with some chromis/damsels, they are perfect for cycling."

Well it seems to me that I gave you exactly what you wanted then right? Either way everything I stated was fact. I'm sorry for making it seem personal not my intention, I just see a lot of people using fish in cycles on here and it's annoying. Wish you luck with the tank and I'm done

I didn't want any issues, and that's what you gave me. It's not my tank, she wanted me to keep a log. I'm glad this is over because your killing me man.

Well it seems to me that I gave you exactly what you wanted then right? Either way everything I stated was fact. I'm sorry for making it seem personal not my intention, I just see a lot of people using fish in cycles on here and it's annoying. Wish you luck with the tank and I'm done

Also its with used filter media and I've seen nitrates already, we have no ammonia or nitrites, so technically it's cycled but still being monitored closely.

Also its with used filter media and I've seen nitrates already, we have no ammonia or nitrites, so technically it's cycled but still being monitored closely.

That's a fw thing not sw. Your bb will be on your LR and sandbed mostly.

Back
Top Bottom