10gallon nano tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxlbreed

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys! I would like to create a nano reef with one clown a goby and some inverts. I have a brakish tank, and a lot of experience but I wanna try something new here. Never dealt with marine. Been reading a bit and learning but if like some sweet and unique ideas and a what I really need list (budget ;) )
How much u guys think it will total?

These prices are in cad $
20 lb aragonite 30$
LR 9$ per lb Want 10+ lb
Thermometer 3$
Korilla 425gph 40$
Heater 25$
Mag-float 8$ optional
Light depends on what you want for corals price goes up fast

I saw there are small protein skimmers for a 15g tank for about 40bucks.. Worth it? What do they do exactly anyway?
Do I need a filter??

Filter yes skimmer yes and no depends who you ask lol. Are you going to have a sump?

What kind of filter what's the range and decent company to go for. I like bio stuff in terms of filtration if that's possible. What do the skimmers do for me? And what's a sump? :) thx ;)

I woudl get a hang on abck type filter like an aquaclear and i say no for the skimmer. The skimmer selection for such small tanks is pretty crappy and from reading reviews they dont work really well. Weekly water changes will do what the skimmer should and probably more efficiently as well. LOL

On a side note, I saw a used biocube skimmer yesterday for $20 so i bought it. I wanted to try it myself and see if the reviwes are true and for the price it couldnt be beat. I just put it in yesterday and so far nothing spectacular to report. i figure I'll give it the two weeks it normally takes a skimmer to break in and decide from there.

I think that's the one I was looking at it was about 40 here in store. What's abck?
Do I have to get all LR or can I get some base rock 8lb and 2lb live rock?
Sump? Y/N what is it?
Thanks guys really helpful thread here!

i meant hang on back filter. It hangs on the rim of your tank like in freshwater.

And yep, you can buy a few lbs of live rock and a few lbs of base rock and the base will become live over time. As ump generally goes below your tank and is extra water volume and a place to hide your equipment.

here's a quick article on sumps

Sumps Explained

Sweet! Who would recommend a sump for a 10g and how big?
Off to do more reading !! :) too much to learn here

I personally wouldnt recommend a sump for a 10g. :) I have no sump on my 29g, my new 20g and have one on my 125g though.

good luck in your research!

carey said:
I personally wouldnt recommend a sump for a 10g. :) I have no sump on my 29g, my new 20g and have one on my 125g though.

good luck in your research!

Your 29g biocube does have a " sump " just a different style than most think of. I would be tempted to go with a bio cube as every thing you need except a heater they only come 8, 14, 29 g if you don't have the 10g already I would look into a 14g there are many different all in one type system out there. Carey and I both have the 29g while I have only had mine the hqi setup for a few weeks now both of us are happy with them.

I reAlly like the cubes they just seem to expensive for me right now.. ? Or are they a good deal and I'm not seein it?
I like the idea of having a more stable tank with a sump and I was thinking it would spare me the circulation pump too. Do I need a filter if I put a protein skimmer into the sump? I was thinking 10g reef tank 10g glass DIY sump..

I feel they are a good deal. :) Everything is included pretty much and it;s plug and play. No lighting fixtures to worry about which is a pain for a 10g to begin with. You also would need a cheaplight for a refugium sump for the macro algae. if it all got added up in the end I think the cube would come out much cheaper and easier. Also you can't really put much into a 10g tank, sump or no sump, theres just no room.

Also, protein skimmers for a 10g are pretty crappy unless you wanna spend like $150 for a decent one. I'm experimenting with a biocube skimmer this week on my 29g cube and so far I'm not impressed. Anything under 30g or so I don't think a skimmer is really worth the money and the results can be slight. I only plan on a skimmer for my 20g new coral tank because it will be almost all coral. And I;m even having a hard time finding one thats reputable and not extremely expensive.

I will add up the prices but I think with the bc you end up ahead if you set up a comparable system again will be cad $ should work the same for us $

You can get a 14g cube for about $200 and a 29g for about 249$. All you'd need to add is a heater, and that kinda depends on where you live, I;m in florida so I have no heater, and a powerhead.

Then its just the regular sw stuff,
live rock, sand, thermometer, refractometer9for salinity) a liquid test kit for the water like API, and ro/di water from your LFS , a supermarket machine or you can buy your own unit for about $70.

It's very hard to setup a comparable system had to go with an 18 tall 20" 2x 18 w pc and an ac 30 hob filter adds up to aprox 270$ add it up for your self with local prices but you should end up with a similar result

And that 2 bulb fixture can't sustain the same corals that the cubes stock lighting can in my opinion. I may be biased though since I have one already LOL. But I do have 8 other tanks and the money really adds up. especially the lighting. theres some serious sticker shock right there if you can even find a 20" fixture. I;ve searched for some members online and theres a limited selection. Unless you go chinese cheapo and even then youre looking at $50 bucks at least!

The cube also comes with the two bulbs, the blue and the white. :) and has built in moonlighting too. Gotta say i dont use mine but may start soon as i just got a new timer. :)

Is the lighting in the cube good enough for corals?
Is it worth getting an Rodi unit for the biocube? Petco sells it for 169..
14g

Back
Top Bottom