12 g nano cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fattonynoriega

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 12 g nano cube and it is in its third day of cycling. I only have 1 piece of live rock in there now and live sand. What would u guys suggest me putting in there (more live rock, what kind of fish/corals). I am completely new to the saltwater world so any advise would be much appreciated.

Maybe more rock ( live or dry) until it's done cycling. Don't add any fish until the tank is cycled. You an add a piece of raw shrimp to help the cycling.

Thanks for the reply. The lfs gave me a cube of something to help the cycle. Would u recommend the raw shrimp. And how many ponds of rock should I put in the tank. Thanks again

I would recommend the raw shrimp. Raw shrimp works pretty quick in a nano tank. I used it in my biocube 14 and it only took a week.

Generally, you should have 1-2 pounds of rock per gallon. If you get dry rock, it will become live over time, so no worries.

I would definitely have about 10 pounds of total rock in there at least. I also would not add any livestock until a few days after cycling completes. I agree with the shrimp idea. It cycled my 90 gallon tank pretty quickly, and I am planning on using the process for my 29 gallon biocube that I will order soon. I am doing some mod on it so I am taking my time :)

Some more live rock and the shrimp. How will I know when the tank is fully cycled

Do you have a liquid test kit? You can monitor the cycle that way and then you will know exactly when it's ready. :)

Thanks Carey. I just read aquaricks article on the whole procedure. Alot of good info for me to follow. Thanks again

A word of advice on the shrimp piece...put it in a mesh bag before putting it in the tank so it doesn't just disappear. Otherwise, that ammonia source could be going on even longer than you want it to :) Any fish store or petstore that has aquarium supplies should carry the mesh bags...they are normally used to hold filter media like carbon and such.

Also, as you add liverock, the recommendation is to add the fullload all at once as adding new rock after other rock has cycled may trigger another cycle..and you don't want that happening aftger you start adding your assorted critters. The uncured liverock, the new stuff that you add, also supplies its own ammonia source and more than likely will have some of the bacteria needed to get the cycle kickstarted.

I've tested my water and all the parameters are fine. But during the cycling stage is my sand and rock suppose to turn brown. Should I do a pwc to vacuum the sand

The brown is diatoms it is a sign you are on track with cycling. You will find over the course of establishing your tank you will have all sorts of algae some of them will make you want to scream but once your tank is established then there should be very little or if any algae.

R these the diatoms ur talking about

Attachments

• image-776873156.jpg
    image-776873156.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image-425553845.jpg
    image-425553845.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image-1101161684.jpg
    image-1101161684.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 103
That is what diatoms look like.

I really like your rock it would be great to stick frags on. Do you plan on making into a reef tank?

I definitely want to eventually turn this in to a reef tank. Still doing my homework and reading up on everything. When do u think will he the bet time to introduce a clean up crew

I definitely want to eventually turn this in to a reef tank. Still doing my homework and reading up on everything. When do u think will he the bet time to introduce a clean up crew

After the ammonia goes back down. You don't want to kill them :blink: And I wouldn't bother with any water changes during the cycling. Just wait for awhile and leave the tank be. Before you add any critters, I would do a water change.

So I decided to put some ammonia in my tank in order to check to see if my tank is cycled and I think I over did it. Right now my parameters are:
Ammonia 8.0+
Nitrite 2.0
Nitrate 20

Should I do a water change to bring the ammonia down or just let it run it's course? All responses are highly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• image-3874355746.jpg
    image-3874355746.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2487004885.jpg
    image-2487004885.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3852295126.jpg
    image-3852295126.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 94
I would say do a water change to bring the ammonia down - probably a 50% change. That's a little too much ammonia lol. Then just let it run it's course.

Back
Top Bottom