120w Tao LED on Pico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingusplease

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

It's been a while, but here's an update:

Seeing as par38 bulb + gooseneck fixture can cost upwards of $100, I bought a 120w led panel for $90, on eBay (pm me for the link.) This is for my 3 gallon JBJ picotope (turns one year old in two weeks!)

Full spectrum, dimmable, fans, free 2 day shipping, 3w diodes.

Comment, critique welcome, this is really kind of an experiment for me. I'll start off with the lowest possible settings :)

It should arrive in the next couple of days, I'll update with news when it does!

Hi dingus, first off, saw a lot of your other comments in other threads and I know you're experienced. My experience with that light is that even on the lowest settings it can still be pretty strong. I don't think it's possible for that light to have an output range from say,1-120... meaning that the lowest output it produces is around 40, so say 40-120w?... I'm making up relative numbers on this as im not positive but I had mine over a 20 gallon and still had seen some corals and my clam struggling with it... just something to think about since you asked :) but I do plan on buying another one when I upgrade to my 90 gallon when I get settled in my own house because of how much I love it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also I love this tank and followed your thread on my other account.

I appreciate the tip, and thanks for the compliment! I didn't know it wasn't a 0-100 scale, but I do know it's quite intense. If need be maybe it would be possible to add a secondary dimmer/driver, however I was already planning on raising in it quite a bit above the tank (12-30".)

The motive for this light was for my upcoming 55g, and in the meantime I'm hoping to make it work for this tank.

The main goal is still to keep everybody in the tank happy - would you say, with experience with this light, that at minimum power and increased height it could work for this tank?

At minimum power and increased height it should be okay because a lot of the light will miss the tank, you'll just have alot of light in that room with the tank haha.

I'm not good with electricity but that might work!
No matter what you'll be able to make it work but it might not be as appealing visually

I already have a curtain hung above and in front of the tank, so I'm thinking the excess light won't spill directly out into the room. I'll hang it behind the curtain in this picture. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom