12gallon Edge Nano Nubie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claval01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,
I'm new to all of this, but my brother has had many tanks. I set up a 12 gallon saltwater, I know I heard its tough and that I'll probably fail. But I thougt I'd give it a shot. Just added a skunk shrimp, bumble bee snail, and one damsel to help cycle. Anyone have any advise? Lol

Attachments

• image-3637259908.jpg
    image-3637259908.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2833616743.jpg
    image-2833616743.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 70
  • image-707561410.jpg
    image-707561410.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 74
Claval01 said:
Hello All,
I'm new to all of this, but my brother has had many tanks. I set up a 12 gallon saltwater, I know I heard its tough and that I'll probably fail. But I thougt I'd give it a shot. Just added a skunk shrimp, bumble bee snail, and one damsel to help cycle. Anyone have any advise? Lol

Don't have the I'll fail attitude you never know!! The damsel isn't to cycle your tank. I would have waiting for the snail and Shrimp. When you start getting diatom algae then 2 snails should good to help clean up.

The damsel is very very aggressive and in a small tank like that, of he makes it through the cycle it will definitely pick on anything you put on there.

What kind of lighting are you using? Are you planning on corals?

You can cycle a tank using a raw shrimp in a net and let it just decompose in the tank.

Do you have all necessary testing kits? And you'll need a refractometer to measure your salinity and you'll have to watch for evaporation. It's open top?

You'll need RO water or distilled water for top offs. Salt doesn't evaporate so of the water level gets low the salinity gets higher and can stress things out like coral,fish etc...

Just some things I wanted to point out. I'll others chime in.

Hey... I know I'm trying to be positive.. I took my water in to get tested and they said it hasn't started to cycle thus the reason I got some inverts and fish... Per there advise. (all was 40% off so lol) the lighting is stock, LEDs and moon lighting, I'll have to get the specs when I get home. I've been using a hydrometer for salinity and it's perfect. Think it's 1.021 if I remember correctly.
I have about 10 lbs of live rock and 1&1/2 in of live sand...
So I can pour distilled water to top off? Good news.... Well thanks for the info!

Claval01 said:
Hey... I know I'm trying to be positive.. I took my water in to get tested and they said it hasn't started to cycle thus the reason I got some inverts and fish... Per there advise. (all was 40% off so lol) the lighting is stock, LEDs and moon lighting, I'll have to get the specs when I get home. I've been using a hydrometer for salinity and it's perfect. Think it's 1.021 if I remember correctly.
I have about 10 lbs of live rock and 1&1/2 in of live sand...
So I can pour distilled water to top off? Good news.... Well thanks for the info!

Yes you can use RO or distilled water only for top offs. Think of this way. Salt doesn't evaporate so once you start getting evaporation your salinity goes up, if you add saltwater as a top off your increasing your salinity even more. That's why distilled water or RO water is the way to go, when you too off you'll bring your salinity back to a good range.

I believe your salinity is a bit low. I keep mine at 1.025-1.026. Natural sea water is I believe 1.026

Again I'm still new, only been in the game for 9 months. I'm sharing with you what I've learned here and from research.

Patience is key in this hobby. I'm curious about your lighting so when you have time is like to know what it is. Also what filter are using? I'd just like to get an idea of flow and filtration.

One other thing I'd like to ask of I can see a nice full tank shot (FTS)

:)

Great! Thanks for the info...! The edge take is a pain to get fish into so I had to get some water out etc... Anyway it's all stock lighting and filter lol whatever came with the tank. I'll deff take a look when I get home. I've got to get some distilled water on my way home to top the tank off..for sure! Here is a pic

Attachments

• image-2345474120.jpg
    image-2345474120.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2032196176.jpg
    image-2032196176.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 74
  • image-2474309236.jpg
    image-2474309236.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 64
By the looks of it, you'll need to get another pump. The circulation you get with the stock aquaclear that came with the edge isn't enough. Also, the stock led lighting that came with the edge wont grow any coral. It barely grows freshwater anubias. I have a 6gal edge, and I've played with the idea of making it a saltwater tank, but it's going to be a big pain to clean when algae starts growing. good luck. keep updating with pics.

Back
Top Bottom