14 gallon reef tank making progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sooooooo....went to my other LFS today because he posted that he had red rock anemones. Very close runner up to the ebay one I saw and a steal for $30!!! I'm in love and may have a new addiction! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429303218.484184.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Rock nems are beautiful and easy to keep. They are totally a growing fad. This is a good thing too. They are easy to keep, not as light demanding as other anemone, and just simply gorgeous. I have been reading the thread for some time now and was thinking that you already had a great looking one, though you didn't think it was nearly as pretty as I did. Either way, great pick up. You might be able to make yourself a rock nem garden.

Thanks! I do really like my other one, I got it earlier this week too, it has gotten comfortable and is a beautiful yellow now. I'd love a variety RFA garden! And exciting news, the one I got today had babies when I put her in. I didn't post in the last post because I wasn't sure and sent pictures to someone who tries breeding them for confirmation. I found 2 attached to a rock already and there was one in the sand bed but the mom nem has moved over it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well that is really cool. So many things can lead to such reproduction, even the stress of the move can make such occur. Here several years ago another member bought a BTA and when she got it home there was the BTA she bought and about 15 smaller ones floating around in the bag. Was an incredible thing she took a picture of.

It is really amazing, I feel like I hit some kind of anemone lottery! I really hope they make it but I'm trying not to get hopes too high in case they don't.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

No idea?? Just that they are tiny babies out on their own (sorry, I'm a nurturing mom who feels I need to be there every step of the way with my babies). Just new to the spawning in a reef tank I guess, hopeful for sure though!!! I'll keep posting pics of their growth. Here's one of the babies on the rock, just behind and to the right of the small feather duster. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429323595.282062.jpg

I fear I may not sleep much tonight, mom has settled in nicely and accepted a sexy shrimp, wish I could find all the babies though. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429324905.147681.jpg

OMGG that is stunning and you are SOOOO lucky to find such a nice one, and babies to boot, lol. I love mine and I think it dropped a baby but then it was seemingly gone (thought I must have been seeing things) so now I am wondering!!!

Thanks Autumn, I'm thrilled! ?

Had a bit of a scare this morning, my green clown has been hiding in the the same rock and basically the exact same position for the whole week & then today I couldn't find him so of course I thought the worse. I finally saw a flash of green behind my lobo, looks like he has finally gotten comfortable and is roaming the tank checking out his new home. Still haven't seen him eat but hoping he's picking at the pods, he looks pretty active now...for a clown goby. Here's a pic of him under the hairy shroom, still looking grumpy of course.

A rare photo op with both of my shy fish posing for a family picture. Goby is peeking from behind the monti

So I finally found your thread on here sand dollar! The tank is looking good. Love the new rock flower. Another nem to check out are the mini maxis. They dusky don't get as big as the rock flowers but do look a little different. Tagging along. :)

So I finally found your thread on here sand dollar! The tank is looking good. Love the new rock flower. Another nem to check out are the mini maxis. They dusky don't get as big as the rock flowers but do look a little different. Tagging along. :)

Thanks Paul, glad to have you following! I do like maxi minis and my LFS usually has a lot in stock. Don't they need higher lighting? I just have the stock power compact lighting, so I'm not sure I could support them yet. Maybe in an upgrade down the road! I did some rearranging yesterday and have determined I need more space. I think I have to move a few more things then will post updates.

Thanks Paul, glad to have you following! I do like maxi minis and my LFS usually has a lot in stock. Don't they need higher lighting? I just have the stock power compact lighting, so I'm not sure I could support them yet. Maybe in an upgrade down the road! I did some rearranging yesterday and have determined I need more space. I think I have to move a few more things then will post updates.

IME they like about the same light as each other but I do run LEDs so I'm not sure about your lighting.

Picked up this today!

Also started a 10 gallon tank in an attempt to culture pods to feed the main tank. Basically a refugium that's not attached to my tank but hope to use it as a refugium when I am able to upgrade to a larger tank or turn it into a QT tank or something if I need a bigger one. My smaller LFS set me up with a used 10 gallon tank for $5, bought a bag of sand and he gave me a bag with live pods and mysis shrimp. Got a cheap hang on filter and heater. Went to my other LFS today and picked up a small piece of live rock and chunk of chaeto ( both free with the purchase of my ric!!) Also got the light, read a 65w compact fluorescent floodlight works well for chaeto, sound right? Since it's not being fed by my tank he told me throw some fish food in a couple times a week. Anything else I need to help production along?

It loves you, CUTE!

Thanks!

It had been sitting in the same spot for almost 2 weeks. I rearranged some corals yesterday and she's on the move today, nearly on top of one of my corals. Should I move corals out of its way until it settled in its new spot or will it go around them?

Back
Top Bottom