14g Biocube, 6 months old, lots of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rschare

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have my 14g Biocube for 6 months, things are fine. But, I have a bunch of questions built up after I guess my breaking in period. The stats first.

1 Perc Clown, 1 Ocala Clown Fish (wasn't sold a match pair).
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
2 Turbo Snails
3 Regular Snails
3 Hermit Crabs
2 Small Cone shaped Snails ( not sure the real name)
Some Zoa's Polyps, Coral etc.

My questions.

1: I alternate between Brine Shrimp and Mysis Shrimp about a thumbnail size. That ok?

2: I add a little Phytoplankton every other day. That ok?

3: I change the water between 1 and 2 weeks. Otherwise levels just go too high. I wish I didn't need to do it that often.

4: The Perc is getting pretty big (and chases the Ocala everywhere). Can he get too big?

5: The Skunk Shrimp has shed easily 8 times in 3 months. That ok? He's getting pretty big too. Can he get too big?

6: I've got a nice set of Red slim on the bottom that I just suck up when I do water changes.

7: Any ideas to stop salt creep. I need to wash off the outside of the tank a few times a week.

8: Do I have too big a cleanup crew?

Thanks for any help.

I have my 14g Biocube for 6 months, things are fine. But, I have a bunch of questions built up after I guess my breaking in period. The stats first.

1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
2 Turbo Snails
3 Regular Snails
3 Hermit Crabs
2 Small Cone shaped Snails ( not sure the real name)
Some Zoa's Polyps, Coral etc.

My questions.

1: I alternate between Brine Shrimp and Mysis Shrimp about a thumbnail size. That ok?

3: I change the water between 1 and 2 weeks. Otherwise levels just go too high. I wish I didn't need to do it that often.

4: The Perc is getting pretty big (and chases the Ocala everywhere). Can he get too big?

5: The Skunk Shrimp has shed easily 8 times in 3 months. That ok? He's getting pretty big too. Can he get too big?

6: I've got a nice set of Red slim on the bottom that I just suck up when I do water changes.

7: Any ideas to stop salt creep. I need to wash off the outside of the tank a few times a week.

8: Do I have too big a cleanup crew?

Thanks for any help.
2 diffrent species will likely fight will not pair up ...
Watch for over feeding , you do not say how often you are feeding , this can cause issues and algea blooms later down the line if you are not rinsing them off before feeding . Brine has no nutritional value for the fish . It is used to try to get finiky eaters to eat .. Generally the amount you are feeding is a bit much for that size tank 1/3 of that every 2 xs a week would be fine .. I feed ours on wed and sunday .. It even seems they even have a calendar to know the day :lol:

You dont say the amount here either , but have found that very little in our tanks need it besides sea fans and a few others . Again you are overloading your tank with nutrients that are not needed

Generally weekly water changes are needed in a nano since the trace elements deplete quicker and the fish poo builds up .. I change out 2 gallons on my 10 gallon tank weekly .... I also replace filter pads monthly and rinse them weekly .. Whilst dealing with a dino bloom I did those weekly ..
See above comment the issues are already started
not really they generally are only about 2.5 inches in the home tank he should be fine ... They generally molt monthly anyways or when stressed ..My old shrimp use to molt what seemed weekly and stayed at about 2.5 inches ...

That is just a normal evil that we have with salt tanks .. Do you have alot of splashing water if so try to reseat it where it dosent splash as much .. Also check for mini leaks as well ... If you have an air stone remove it ...
8: Do I have too big a cleanup crew? 2 Small Cone shaped Snails
Nope just fine .... The cone shaped ones look up astraea snails .

Thank you. One more question.

The Blue sponge in the right side tank. Do you ever take that out and rinse it out? I did once and it was gross!

Yep that should be done weekly and replaced monthly if it has carbon in it other wise you can replace it every 3-4 months I would replace it .. Most just get filter floss and toss it weekly and replace it ..
You can rinse it out under a tap vigorously and (if you want to you dip back in to some old tank water then replace it .. ) That will trap ditrius and cause your levels to spike if not maintained ..
I guess I did not address the red slime sorry
Sucking it up as you are doing is good .Increase flow to that area if possible , and reduce the nutrients in your tank ..

Just a quick note, Amphiprion percula and Amphiprion ocellaris can indeed pair and often interbred.

Back
Top Bottom