14g biocube new to this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nguyenma

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi i got my tank about 1 and a half months ago. right now i am running a stock pump and a protein skimmer. i have 10 pounds of LR in my 14g tank. i have snails crabs and a hammer in my tank which are all doing fine. my water param are as follows:
anmon 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0-10
ph is 8.0 - 8.4
the calcium and the rest i forgot cuz i am not at home. i will update tonight.
i was wondering if i should either get a pump upgrade to a mj 900 with a hydor flo or Koralia Nano. would the hydor flo work ok with the stock pump?? i dont wanna spent to much because i have to worry about school and bills to pay. please if you could help me out.

ps i also have about a pound of sand

if the hydor flo works well with the stock pump then i will get that and the Koralia Nano.

The Koralia Nano would work great with that tank. You only have just 1lb of sand in the whole system? If I were you I would probably bump that up to at least 10 lbs of sand to give a good sandy surface for creatures to scavenger in or on.

sorry its not a pound its 10 pounds of sand. my mistake. i decide to go with the koralia 1 instead of the nano so that i dont have to spend anymore money on an upgraded pump.

Koralia #1???? You might want to return that... it's too powerful for that small size tank... I'm serious... I'm 28gallon and I'm using Nano... If the water flow is too powerful, the fish will be unhappy as well...

cant i just aim that upwards??? i heard other people have good success with the kor 1??

YOu could give it a try... but I don't know, I gave it a shot of having a more powerful PH just like u did, but it didn't work, so I had to get the Nano instead.

well i was gonna get 2 juv false clowns and maybe a golby with frogspawns and torch> right now the only major thing i ahve is a hammer

yeah if you see the clowns having trouble swimming against the current, then you'll know that you need to change the PH, so just keep an eye on it.

what type of food should i feed my false clowns and hammer coral??

#1 would be a tad bit to much for a 14G nano... I would suggest it being in a 28G or more.. You flow rate should not exceed 240GPH I believe. Your flow should be good enough if you have PS corals or Corals that required Medium- Water flow. If you have more than 10lbs of LR I would consider the #1 maybe or more of a Current flow. But the nano Koralia should just as good either way.

You can start feeding the Clowns Mysis Shrimp. As for your Hammer Coral you should not have to feed them. They basically will get what they can from feeding your Livestock normal. Most of the Coral run of off Photosynthesis so feed them directly will just be more to feed than you really have to. IMO...

thanks. my friend he had extra food pellets for clowns so he gave me those s=but i wasent sure. he also gave me so drop for the hammers. when i get home i will post the brand and stuff for you guyz. and i think i will be getting the nano sometime today. thanks for the input. one more thing. i took out the bio balls for the water level wasnt high enough so that it wouldnt make the water fall noise. so i raised it and it went over the max setting. its that ok or bad??

I'm not so sure the clowns would have trouble swimming in that amount of current. They are from the ocean where they are subject to violent water movement. I don't think you will have a problem there. I would be more concerned about the hammer coral having too much flow on it. As long as you place the Koralia in the back of the tank and aim it slightly towards the surface it should be fine in the tank. The Koralia #1 does produce a lot of flow but it is gentle and not "jet" like.

Feeding the hammer is not needed. As long as you have enough lighting it will get what it needs from the light.

so my clown has been swimming around the top of the tank for a few days. is this still normal??? also if any of you own a biocube how do i take out the false bottom of chamber 1 where the filter is or the protein skimmer is. as well i removed the bio balls and raise the water level way over the max limit so that there would be no water fall from chamber 1 to 2. is that ok??

also if any of you own a biocube how do i take out the false bottom of chamber 1 where the filter is or the protein skimmer is

i would like to know as well

Last edited:
what kind of lights are best for hammers and frogspawn. right now im running stock lights in the biocube.

both of my clowns are twitching.... im not an expert but i dont think thats normal. whats wrong does anyone know?? please help me quickly!!

biocube false bottom

I just got the 29g model, and I wondered the same thing. Unlike chamber #2, there doesn't appear to be any easy way to open chamber #1, which is the best place for heaters or skimmers. I ended up just slipping two butterknives between the slots and angling them, then pulling diagonally and up until the whole thing popped off. I haven't seen any problem with the filter's running, and I think I could just shove it back down if I needed too. Not sure what it's there for in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom