15gal tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leesanhua

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 15 gal main tank. is it possible to get a sump for it?
what gph of the overflow box should i get?
what return pump should i get?

That small of a tank, are you sure you want a sump? You'd most likely have to DIY. I'd use a small three to five gallon tank and just make it into a refugium. Have a hang on the back overflow and direct the plumbing to the sump. You can make chambers. One for the filtering (the first part that water will flow into) and have a floss sponge and maybe have bio balls under the sponge. May not need the bio balls if you have enough live rock. Another chamber would be the one with the return pump. The GPH on the pump (not the overflow...that doesn't have a GPH...it works with gravity) should be about 3 to 5 times that of the tank per hour. So a 15 gallon tank should turn over 45 to 75 GPH.

Some people like to have a third chamber inbetween the mechanical filtering media and the return pump for stuff like heaters and sensor probes...even a skimmer or make it into a refugium by adding reef mud and algae in that center chamber.

Back
Top Bottom