16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh and I just tested salinity in my buckets. 2 of the 3 are at 1.022 and the third bucket is at 1.026.. should I just transfer some water to the buckets that are lower or does it matter since their all goin to the same place?

When you mix it all together you'll probably end up right at 1.023 maybe .024 so I would try and raise it up a bit in your .022 buckets... 1.025 is a good spot for small tanks. Imo under 50 gallons with no ato should be kept at .024-.025 due to evap causing your salinity to rise. The 70 should be a good choice for a filter. The more the better but you have to take into consideration that hobs cause saltcreep and to low of a water level could lead to sand storms in your tank.. I think its been said to you before but what works for one person doesn't always work for another. Reef tanks are like people and no two are alike so we can just give you guidelines and basics to follow the rest is up to you to learn and adapt to your specific tank. Hope that helped a little lol

Mrc8858 said:
When you mix it all together you'll probably end up right at 1.023 maybe .024 so I would try and raise it up a bit in your .022 buckets... 1.025 is a good spot for small tanks. Imo under 50 gallons with no ato should be kept at .024-.025 due to evap causing your salinity to rise. The 70 should be a good choice for a filter. The more the better but you have to take into consideration that hobs cause saltcreep and to low of a water level could lead to sand storms in your tank.. I think its been said to you before but what works for one person doesn't always work for another. Reef tanks are like people and no two are alike so we can just give you guidelines and basics to follow the rest is up to you to learn and adapt to your specific tank. Hope that helped a little lol

Okay I'll add some more salt into the 2 buckets.. do you think if I went with the aquaclear 70 id be okay with just that??

DanS180 said:
Quick question. Should I definitely go with the skilter 250? Or should I just get a bigger filter like an aquaclear 70? I have an aquaclear 30 that's not in use but figured that'd be too small so I was just wondering

A skimmer would be the better choice not sure on its performance of the skilter 250 but anything it removes is more than a filter will do.

Schism said:
A skimmer would be the better choice not sure on its performance of the skilter 250 but anything it removes is more than a filter will do.

Okay then maybe I'll just go with the skilter.. I don't wanna get an HOB and a skimmer so the skilter might be my best bet

Ok tank is in place and filled. Acclimating my fish again as we speak. Bought 8lbs of base rock and a koralia 425 powerhead. Right now I just have the basic hood light on top so it looks like crap right now lol

Can't wait to see the escaping now.. did you look for any arch pieces?

Mrc8858 said:
Can't wait to see the escaping now.. did you look for any arch pieces?

Don't get your hopes up lol my LFS has crap for base rock so I got a bunch of small pieces... the scape looks like my other tank but bigger now lol its actually still small.. not sure if I really like it.. I'll post a pic after I add my fish back in and you tell me what u think..

here it is... tell me what you think, if i should keep it the same way it is, or i should split em up and make 1 stack on each side of the tank. I do have a long piece thats pretty small that i could make a "bridge" out of. tell me what you think!!

Attachments

• 29G Reef.jpg
    29G Reef.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 208
oh and thats only 20lbs of sand, i still have another bag if i need it.. if i rearrange the LR, i prolly will use it. LR is sitting on the bottom of the tank, not on top of sand.

Here's a tip. If you can't find a good piece make one. Take fiberglass rods and drill holes in your rocks for them to stack together with the rods and epoxy. You can even do it with pvc which I've seen a couple setups that they actually ran their return though rock work built with pvc to have it exit unnoticeably.... A lot of work but once its finished is pretty cool

The kinds of corals you want can also help you decide final scaping too. Do you have an idea of what your main focus is gonna be for corals

Mrc8858 said:
The kinds of corals you want can also help you decide final scaping too. Do you have an idea of what your main focus is gonna be for corals

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be getting some sort of Hammer coral.. maybe a frogsprawn also.. and then the basic ones(shrooms, zoas, etc)

DanS180 said:
Yeah, I'm definitely going to be getting some sort of Hammer coral.. maybe a frogsprawn also.. and then the basic ones(shrooms, zoas, etc)

So your looking at the lower end of lighting and placement for corals so I would try to keep the majority of your scaping in the middle portion of your tank with a couple pillars. My only problem is thats what most peoples plan is and then they buy their first sps and the addiction begins which they do best in a tank with high shelving. Long story short I think you should browse through the sps and be certain that isn't the route you'd like to take lol

Mrc8858 said:
So your looking at the lower end of lighting and placement for corals so I would try to keep the majority of your scaping in the middle portion of your tank with a couple pillars. My only problem is thats what most peoples plan is and then they buy their first sps and the addiction begins which they do best in a tank with high shelving. Long story short I think you should browse through the sps and be certain that isn't the route you'd like to take lol

Lol so it might make sense to actually make 2 stacks, one on each side and make a bridge between them.. this way I can do sps if I want to and then still have room for my Lps on the bottom

Guess I'll need more rock lol

That is the ideal way for a mixed reef imo kinda how my setup is. If your certain you don't like sps though which some people don't (surprisingly lol) then no need to raise the scape so high which leaves a nice swimming area for fish. The only reason I'm giving you all these different tips and options is I know I would love the chance to go back to the beginning with all the info I have now cause trust me i would do a lot of things differently lol. Only option now is a bigger second reef tank for me :)

Mrc8858 said:
That is the ideal way for a mixed reef imo kinda how my setup is. If your certain you don't like sps though which some people don't (surprisingly lol) then no need to raise the scape so high which leaves a nice swimming area for fish. The only reason I'm giving you all these different tips and options is I know I would love the chance to go back to the beginning with all the info I have now cause trust me i would do a lot of things differently lol. Only option now is a bigger second reef tank for me :)

Haha yeah I'll look into the sps later on and see what I like and don't like.. I won't be getting corals for awhile anyways so I have some time to decide and mess around with the scape :)

Ok looking on live aquaria.. not really entertained by the sps corals lol they're all the same basically.. all tongas and Fiji coral

I'll keep looking around for corals and stuff but moving on for now..

What other fish can I put in here now that I've upgraded from the 16G? I want fish with lots of bright colors and what not. Any recommendations?

Almost 6 hours after setting up, here's my test results
HR pH 8.0
Ammonia 0-.25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0-5ppm
Salinity 1.024

So far so good as far as another cycle goes

Back
Top Bottom