16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It should only increase if anything but this is why you need to invest in your own Ro/Di.. just the gas back and forth will quickly add up to an entire unit ;)

Mrc8858 said:
It should only increase if anything but this is why you need to invest in your own Ro/Di.. just the gas back and forth will quickly add up to an entire unit ;)

No trust me I know, I'm saving up for my own unit lol

I emptied one bucket out, gonna go to the store, get another 5gal bucket of plain RO and divide the other mixed bucket into 2 buckets with the RO.. hopefully that'll do the trick and hopefully that wasn't confusing lol

DanS180 said:
I emptied one bucket out, gonna go to the store, get another 5gal bucket of plain RO and divide the other mixed bucket into 2 buckets with the RO.. hopefully that'll do the trick and hopefully that wasn't confusing lol

You dumped a whole bucket of salt water!? Hopefully down your driveway where the weeds keep growing... That's what I'm doing with mine from now on.

I keep a few gallons of distiller water on hand for that situation and top off. If I mix to high just add some distilled to it till it lowers.

Bearchumjs said:
You dumped a whole bucket of salt water!? Hopefully down your driveway where the weeds keep growing... That's what I'm doing with mine from now on.

Yeah lol I had no other choice unfortunately :/

22engine said:
I keep a few gallons of distiller water on hand for that situation and top off. If I mix to high just add some distilled to it till it lowers.

Yeah I guess I'll have to do that too lol oh well, live n learn

Bearchumjs said:
People will think you're making moonshine!

I actually did that once. My older brother's best friend has his grandfather's setup and we spent a Saturday making moonshine and eating smothered smoked raccoon and tasso gravy over rice. Guarantee you I'll never forget most of that day!

CorallineAlgae said:
I actually did that once. My older brother's best friend has his grandfather's setup and we spent a Saturday making moonshine and eating smothered smoked raccoon and tasso gravy over rice. Guarantee you I'll never forget most of that day!

Wow that sounds like a helluva time haha

Well I have overcome my situation from earlier lol after a 50-60% WC my numbers are
HR pH 8.0
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0-5ppm
Salinity 1.025

Now I gotta top off my tank bc I miscalculated the amount of water but if I top off, will that dilute the salt mix and make salinity decline??

DanS180 said:
Well I have overcome my situation from earlier lol after a 50-60% WC my numbers are
HR pH 8.0
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0-5ppm
Salinity 1.025

Now I gotta top off my tank bc I miscalculated the amount of water but if I top off, will that dilute the salt mix and make salinity decline??

Yeah, if you put non salty water in your tank it will lower the salinity.

Ok, another stupid question :) if I bought one of those water purifiers for my sink, would that water be okay to use for top offs??

DanS180 said:
Ok, another stupid question :) if I bought one of those water purifiers for my sink, would that water be okay to use for top offs??

Need more info about which water purifier you mean.

CorallineAlgae said:
Need more info about which water purifier you mean.

Like one you hook up to your sink for drinking water, I don't have a specific brand in mind so I dunno, just figured id ask

DanS180 said:
Like one you hook up to your sink for drinking water, I don't have a specific brand in mind so I dunno, just figured id ask

No most will not remove nearly as many things as an RO filter especially Ro/Di

Mrc8858 said:

Exactly right. RO filters are revered for a reason. They do exactly what reefers need them to do to make water serviceable for our aquariums. I don't know of a substitute.

Mrc8858 said:

Gotcha, figured id ask, after almost a month of owning a saltwater tank I'm really starting to realize how often I need water lol

Oh and my diatom bloom is in effect, all over my sand, rocks and starting to show on the glass

DanS180 said:
Gotcha, figured id ask, after almost a month of owning a saltwater tank I'm really starting to realize how often I need water lol

Oh and my diatom bloom is in effect, all over my sand, rocks and starting to show on the glass

Yay diatoms!! They are so ugly. I noticed a few in my tank today.

Bearchumjs said:
Yay diatoms!! They are so ugly. I noticed a few in my tank today.

Yeah they are lol they'll eventually go away right? Or should I just manually scrub them off the glass?

Back
Top Bottom