16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
Well I'm def getting another powerhead tomorrow :) and good idea with the filter pad.. I actually have an old filter pad in there that's prob due to come out so I'll just rinse that one off n try it

I hope it works out. I had a 10 gallon reef for a few years without an overflow so I know just what you're going through. The first 10 gallon reef I ever setup actually HAD a built in overflow. It was an Oceanic store display tank to show people how overflows worked in a store. I set in up around 1998 with a 15 gallon reverse daylight refugium. That was before I even knew the word refugium. It was my experimental tank.

Anyway, let us know how it works out!

CorallineAlgae said:
I hope it works out. I had a 10 gallon reef for a few years without an overflow so I know just what you're going through. The first 10 gallon reef I ever setup actually HAD a built in overflow. It was an Oceanic store display tank to show people how overflows worked in a store. I set in up around 1998 with a 15 gallon reverse daylight refugium. That was before I even knew the word refugium. It was my experimental tank.

Anyway, let us know how it works out!

Well we all gotta start somewhere right? Haha

I just got another powerhead, now how do u think I should position the 2.. I'm gonna have one on the right side of the tank n one on the left.. I'm thinking the one on the right have pointed toward the live rock and the one on the left pointed towards the surface?? Does that sound good??

DanS180 said:
Well we all gotta start somewhere right? Haha

I just got another powerhead, now how do u think I should position the 2.. I'm gonna have one on the right side of the tank n one on the left.. I'm thinking the one on the right have pointed toward the live rock and the one on the left pointed towards the surface?? Does that sound good??

Sounds perfect. Your tank's really coming along fast! Are you starting to see any coralline algae growing? It still may be a little bit soon to expect to see much but the way you're handling your tank I wouldn't be to surprised.

CorallineAlgae said:
Sounds perfect. Your tank's really coming along fast! Are you starting to see any coralline algae growing? It still may be a little bit soon to expect to see much but the way you're handling your tank I wouldn't be to surprised.

Aww why thank you :) and nah nothing yet.. now that I have the powerhead pointed toward the surface, my tank looks like a snow globe :/ hopefully that subsides soon

Okay I tried to take a picture of these things but they won't show up.. from what I can see I have 4 little tiny, what look like star fish, on my glass. 2 on the front glass and 2 on the back glass.. what are these?? They look just like a star fish but look like they have lil tiny tentacles waving off of them

Bad for seahorses but that's all I know of. It's common to see a bloom in the early stages.

Okay well after a few days... flow is better BUT I have a dead spot in my right back corner behind my one powerhead, bubbles are forming and just hanging out there.. what should I do?

DanS180 said:
It won't harm anything by leaving it there?

It won't. It's mostly just a small annoyance. I had a small reef tank without an overflow and had the same thing from time to time. When you do a water change you can suck out anything like that no problem.

BTW how are your fish and corals doing?

CorallineAlgae said:
It won't. It's mostly just a small annoyance. I had a small reef tank without an overflow and had the same thing from time to time. When you do a water change you can suck out anything like that no problem.

BTW how are your fish and corals doing?

Ok guess I'll just try n scoop it out.. everyone is doing well and thriving :) I couldn't help myself today.. I got a "Marshall Island Hammer coral" :)

Oh and I think I'm starting to develop a lil bit of coralline algae on a few of my rocks :) so yayy for me

Of the algae? Or the hammer? Lol its acclimating right now so when I put it in and it opens up I'll post a pic

DanS180 said:
Ok guess I'll just try n scoop it out.. everyone is doing well and thriving :) I couldn't help myself today.. I got a "Marshall Island Hammer coral" :)

Awesome! How much did it set you back? They're so expensive at the shops around here.

CorallineAlgae said:
Awesome! How much did it set you back? They're so expensive at the shops around here.

Well its 2 big heads on a big disk.. only $40.. very surprising considering everything was so expensive and I saw the hammer, loved the look of it then saw the price and said to hell with it and bought it haha

Cool. I just posted a pic into thread of my new hammer. Got ten headed stem and a two headed stem for 25 bucks off a guy near me that was clearing room

Back
Top Bottom