16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly, I never kept more than 3 fish in my 30L and that's with a refugium. If you want another fish a sand sifter would be the direction to go. All of them are cool especially if you can get one paired up with a shrimp. I'd wait at least a couple of months to let your tank age and start to settle down. It honestly takes 6-12 months before you can begin to call it established. Better to get the things you really need to make it great first. Once your tank is rockin' another fish would be ok.

Honestly, I never kept more than 3 fish in my 30L and that's with a refugium. If you want another fish a sand sifter would be the direction to go. All of them are cool especially if you can get one paired up with a shrimp. I'd wait at least a couple of months to let your tank age and start to settle down. It honestly takes 6-12 months before you can begin to call it established. Better to get the things you really need to make it great first. Once your tank is rockin' another fish would be ok.

i hear ya, i wasnt planning on adding another fish anytime soon, i was just curious :) my tank just looks so big now compared to the 16 and my guys look so tiny lol

DanS180 said:
i hear ya, i wasnt planning on adding another fish anytime soon, i was just curious :) my tank just looks so big now compared to the 16 and my guys look so tiny lol

I know how you feel. I sometimes have trouble considering the adult size of fish for stocking when they're really really tiny. What kind of fish were you thinking about adding? I always wanted a ranfordii goby but they can be hard to find. (I just know I misspelled that one!)

CorallineAlgae said:
I know how you feel. I sometimes have trouble considering the adult size of fish for stocking when they're really really tiny. What kind of fish were you thinking about adding? I always wanted a ranfordii goby but they can be hard to find. (I just know I misspelled that one!)

Really. They seem pretty common for me especially online. Here's mine :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120823_213702.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120823_213702.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 129
CorallineAlgae said:

The rainfords goby aka court jester?? I wanted to get one of those also but then again I don't have any sand sifter yet and I plan on getting a red banded shrimp down the line

heres a better pic of my tank now that the sand has setted :) still need to rearrange my rock, probably do that tomorrow

Attachments

• 29G Reef Clear.jpg
    29G Reef Clear.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 160
Mrc8858 said:
Really. They seem pretty common for me especially online. Here's mine :)

So great!

I never tried to order any fish online and the one shop here that doesn't sell sick fish never has them because of their distributer. That was a while back though. I may finally get one online when I set up my next tank but that won't be for a while.

Tell my how that skilter works, I'm looking into that on a 100 gallon.

Zactheninja said:
Tell my how that skilter works, I'm looking into that on a 100 gallon.

It would never work for a tank that large. Maybe 3 of the big Skilters would, but for a 100 gallon there aren't many reliable options other than a sump outfitted with a dedicated skimmer. You could certainly get a nice HOB skimmer that'll do that job.. maybe a turbofloater.

ok so i have a neighbor that noticed i had a "huge beautiful tank" in the window and he decided to leave me a letter in my door frame today saying he was breaking down his 135G Reef tank and gave me a list of things he has for sale. Should i be interested in any of this??
- Amiracle Wet/dry(up to 300 gal filtration system)
-Protien Skimmer(not sure of brand, didnt write it down)
-UV Parasite Lite and Jager Auto heater
-Diatom Filter model XL
-2 Rio 1400 Power Pump and 1 1700 Power Pump(maybe powerheads??)
-2 802 Powerhead Pumps
-Approx 200 of Coral(dont know if its actually corals or just coral rock) and 100lbs of Live Rock

anything i should think about taking off his hands?? i do want more Live rock and i do want another powerhead so thats 2 things...

Let me know!!!!

I think his powerheads are too strong for your tank....

Nu-Nu!! thats not what i wanna hear!! lol nah i was thinkin that too, but maybe get one for my 180G FW tank?? after all im probably sellin my other Fluval FX5 so im gonna need some more current in my tank

Lol thats a possability... You should try and get some live rock for a great price, 2 bucks a pound is what people sell their used rock for generally

If it were me (my GF thinks I'm a hoarder haha) id ask the price on all the pumps skimmer and sterilizer and if you can get them all under half of retail or more buy it... Spare pumps are always good and those rios aren't cheap if you ever upgrade which who's ever really satisfied with the size of their tank no matter how big it is haha

Lol thats a possability... You should try and get some live rock for a great price, 2 bucks a pound is what people sell their used rock for generally

yeah im definitely going to go over there and see what he has.. is it okay if i have more than 29lbs+ of live rock for my tank?? i currently have 23lbs

Some people go up to 2 lbs per gallon but I'm a minimalist when it comes to rock work so I stick to 1-1.25 lbs per gallon

If it were me (my GF thinks I'm a hoarder haha) id ask the price on all the pumps skimmer and sterilizer and if you can get them all under half of retail or more buy it... Spare pumps are always good and those rios aren't cheap if you ever upgrade which who's ever really satisfied with the size of their tank no matter how big it is haha

well im definitely going to be asking prices on everything!! if things are reasonable then ill grab em (this guy is very very old so maybe he doesnt realize things are expensive lol)

Some people go up to 2 lbs per gallon but I'm a minimalist when it comes to rock work so I stick to 1-1.25 lbs per gallon

so if had more than 29lbs it wouldnt be a big deal?? i know i wanna scape the tank so that i have enough room for corals and what not but i dont wanna overcrowd the tank.

Back
Top Bottom