16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
Well I'm looking at it now and it looks like tiny holes are all over it.. they're not harmful right?

No a sponge is fine. Filter feeders

Check out this one I got that tagged along with my very first coral. It was about the size of a dime when I got it and now its about 2" across and looks like carbon fiber.. kinda trippy actually when you look closely at it lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121015_191529.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121015_191529.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 87
Mrc8858 said:
Check out this one I got that tagged along with my very first coral. It was about the size of a dime when I got it and now its about 2" across and looks like carbon fiber.. kinda trippy actually when you look closely at it lol

Wth?? That's kinda weird man hahaha

Mrc8858 said:

Ok, so what is it? A sponge of some sort? I have no clue. Lol.

Yep its a sponge.. if you look closely you can see the "mouths" on it in that pic

Mrc8858 said:
Yep its a sponge.. if you look closely you can see the "mouths" on it in that pic

Oh yeah... I do see 2 mouths now that you mention it (and I look A LOT closer)!! Cool.

well i thought the front of my tank was starting to get really bad with diatoms but its turning red/pink/purpleish.... so i guess its Coralline Algae??

DanS180 said:
well i thought the front of my tank was starting to get really bad with diatoms but its turning red/pink/purpleish.... so i guess its Coralline Algae??

Sounds like it...SCRAPE IT NOW! Coraline can be a major pain at the a** so stay ahead of it when its in an unwanted area.. if you've seen my thread then you've seen my side pane of glass and that coraline viewing window took quite some time to get completely cleaned off haha

Mrc8858 said:
Sounds like it...SCRAPE IT NOW! Coraline can be a major pain at the a** so stay ahead of it when its in an unwanted area.. if you've seen my thread then you've seen my side pane of glass and that coraline viewing window took quite some time to get completely cleaned off haha

Yeah I def did see it! Lol this sucks tho bc its all over the front glass but like nowhere else lol guess I gotta scrub it off every time it starts to form again

My tank is so weird... I just tested my water again before I do a water change to see what the difference on calcium will be.. and my nitrates have gone from 5ppm to 0ppm with no water changes.. how is that???

DanS180 said:
My tank is so weird... I just tested my water again before I do a water change to see what the difference on calcium will be.. and my nitrates have gone from 5ppm to 0ppm with no water changes.. how is that???[/QUOT

Means the filtration is doing its job. Not a bad thing lol. The tank is building up the BB and shows it can handle what you have it stocked with

Nah I know its not a bad thing haha I just never had a tank that was like that before lol.. well i guess that's awesome considering I haven't done a water change in about a month lol glad I went out and got some fresh water

DanS180 said:
Nah I know its not a bad thing haha I just never had a tank that was like that before lol.. well i guess that's awesome considering I haven't done a water change in about a month lol glad I went out and got some fresh water

Wow a month.

DanS180 said:
My tank is so weird... I just tested my water again before I do a water change to see what the difference on calcium will be.. and my nitrates have gone from 5ppm to 0ppm with no water changes.. how is that???

All my reefs were like that. Water changes were more to replenish elements than for nitrate removal. It wonderful to hear that it's maturing! You have a great tank. Btw what's your alkalinity at the moment? It should be starting to fall unless you've been on top if it.

22engine said:
Wow a month.

Yeah didnt need to do water changes, only top off.. all my numbers were good and still are but I'm still gonna do a water change to bump up my calcium and alk.

CorallineAlgae said:
All my reefs were like that. Water changes were more to replenish elements than for nitrate removal. It wonderful to hear that it's maturing! You have a great tank. Btw what's your alkalinity at the moment? It should be starting to fall unless you've been on top if it.

Thank you! Just measured Alk. today and it sits at 10°dKH(179ppm) which has dropped from 11° in the past week or so. But my Calcium is actually good at 440mg/L.. still wana do a water change tho. I feel weird NOT doing a water change lol

DanS180 said:
Thank you! Just measured Alk. today and it sits at 10°dKH(179ppm) which has dropped from 11° in the past week or so. But my Calcium is actually good at 440mg/L.. still wana do a water change tho. I feel weird NOT doing a water change lol

10°dKH is good. Normally when a tank gets it's initial coralline growth it drops a little more. Maybe it's just starting. I hope it really takes off.

You said it was mostly on the front glass. Is that where a lot of the water flow is directed? Coralline loves good strong flow. BTW if you shut off your filter or just take out the pads right before you scrape it it'll seed your rock before the pieces can get removed by the pads. Also, the best time to scrape it is right after a water change because the minerals will be just restored and you won't syphon out the bits until the next change.

CorallineAlgae said:
10°dKH is good. Normally when a tank gets it's initial coralline growth it drops a little more. Maybe it's just starting. I hope it really takes off.

You said it was mostly on the front glass. Is that where a lot of the water flow is directed? Coralline loves good strong flow. BTW if you shut off your filter or just take out the pads right before you scrape it it'll seed your rock before the pieces can get removed by the pads. Also, the best time to scrape it is right after a water change because the minerals will be just restored and you won't syphon out the bits until the next change.

Well yeah the flow mainly from the filter basically.. my 2 power heads are pointed towards my LR..

And I'll have to remember that for next time, just got done doing the WC and scrapped it all off before the WC lol

Back
Top Bottom