16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully all these pics uploaded.. just wanted to show some updated pics :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121020_183151.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121020_183151.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 66
  • ForumRunner_20121020_183127.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121020_183127.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 69
  • ForumRunner_20121020_183132.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121020_183132.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 75
  • ForumRunner_20121020_183144.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121020_183144.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 75
  • ForumRunner_20121020_183138.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121020_183138.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 69
Moved a few rocks and took out a couple small ones to make more room.. also moved my green hammer to the middle :) all are doing awesome :)

DanS180 said:
Thanks! Wonder where I got that idea haha.. can't wait to scape my 90G with all dry rock and epoxxy... :D

I know how you feel I'm super excited to setup with a blank canvas knowing what I know now lol

Looks really nice man. Love the rock work. Good job. Also like the background. Some don't like those but I think it adds a nice depth look.

22engine said:
Looks really nice man. Love the rock work. Good job. Also like the background. Some don't like those but I think it adds a nice depth look.

Thanks!! Yeah I wasn't sure about the background either but it kinda makes it blend in from a distance :)

DanS180 said:
Haha yeah I'll get used to it.. and okay so my Magnesium is at 1080ppm.. is that good? Bad?

Yeah, that's pretty low considering your calcium level. It may raise after the next water change or it may not. You'll want to bump it to 1300ppm and keep it there. Most people recommend to keep magnesium at three times your calcium level but because yours is so high I'd just shoot for 1300. It actually matters because in general for every 1ppm of calcium absorbed in the tank 3ppm of magnesium gets used and the ratio in the water should be close to the ratio of absorption.

CorallineAlgae said:
Yeah, that's pretty low considering your calcium level. It may raise after the next water change or it may not. You'll want to bump it to 1300ppm and keep it there. Most people recommend to keep magnesium at three times your calcium level but because yours is so high I'd just shoot for 1300. It actually matters because in general for every 1ppm of calcium absorbed in the tank 3ppm of magnesium gets used and the ratio in the water should be close to the ratio of absorption.

Oh alright I hear ya. So am I supposed to be dosing magnesium or am I just gonna try and accomplish this with water changes??

I would try with water changes first since you went a month on the last one which is probably why it was depleted

Thanks!! Yeah I wasn't sure about the background either but it kinda makes it blend in from a distance :)
You know your tank looks great and i have looked back from the beginning of this thread an the first thing i noticed was the background. What i did is paint the back of the tank (outside) all black! I know a few others that do this with all there tanks as i do. I really just makes all the colors to me in the tank more vibrant! But ultimately you have to look at it everyday!:hide:

Pizza101 said:
You know your tank looks great and i have looked back from the beginning of this thread an the first thing i noticed was the background. What i did is paint the back of the tank (outside) all black! I know a few others that do this with all there tanks as i do. I really just makes all the colors to me in the tank more vibrant! But ultimately you have to look at it everyday!:hide:

Thanks! Yeah I thought about doing that to my tank but then decided to just tape a background on! Lol maybe I'll do that on my next tank :)

Mrc8858 said:
I would try with water changes first since you went a month on the last one which is probably why it was depleted

Ahh good call.. so you think I should just do like a 5gal bucket WC once a week or so?

DanS180 said:
Ahh good call.. so you think I should just do like a 5gal bucket WC once a week or so?

You may not even need to do that much. 3-4 gallons is probably good. I do weekly 5s on my 46

Mrc8858 said:
You may not even need to do that much. 3-4 gallons is probably good. I do weekly 5s on my 46

Alright cool, maybe I'll head out tomorrow and get some more water and do a small change again.

DanS180 said:
Alright cool, maybe I'll head out tomorrow and get some more water and do a small change again.

Man you really need an Ro/Di lol

Mrc8858 said:
Man you really need an Ro/Di lol

I know!!!! Haha I just don't have the extra cash for it right now.. I'm supposed to be selling my other tank today(hopefully!) And if I do I'll have some extra cash so we'll see haha

Well hope that goes well for you but it must be hard parting with a 180 lol

Mrc8858 said:
Well hope that goes well for you but it must be hard parting with a 180 lol

Yeah it definitely sucks haha especially when I would love to just turn it into a FOWLR haha

Back
Top Bottom