16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great point. There is a difference and it's usually with alkalinity lowering. I used to always aerate the RO water before adding salt. This gasses off co2 and raises the pH a bit and believe it or not it keeps the alkalinity a bit higher. Straight RO water is really acidic so it consumes some of the bicarbonates in the salt mix. Giving it some air (I just use a powerhead that has a spot to attach an airline) helps keep the dKH level higher. Non oxygenated RO water can actually drop both pH and alkalinity.

A few hours, around four, is all I wait.

Okay bc the only reason I ask is, I just retested BEFORE doing my WC and my numbers were different lol
Mag 1360ppm
Calc 440ppm
Phos 0ppm
kH 10°

Maybe I just retested too soon last time?? I did the water change anyways so I'll test it this afternoon or tonight sometime

DanS180 said:
Okay bc the only reason I ask is, I just retested BEFORE doing my WC and my numbers were different lol
Mag 1360ppm
Calc 440ppm
Phos 0ppm
kH 10°

Maybe I just retested too soon last time?? I did the water change anyways so I'll test it this afternoon or tonight sometime

You can't beat those levels. They're about as perfect as they come!

You can't beat those levels. They're about as perfect as they come!

!!!! Hahaha what the heck is going on with this tank.. I'm just gonna chalk it up as I messed up somehow.. oh well.. numbers might get even better now that I've done a water change again lol

Okay left side old, right side new

Mag 1360ppm. Mag 1380ppm
Calc 440ppm. Calc 460ppm
kH 10° kH 10°
Salinity 1.023. Salinity 1.025

Does this seem right??? After doing a 5 gallon water change and waiting 5-6hrs to retest

That's just about exactly what the freshly mixed saltwater teats at before the change right? Seems perfect. :)

What's your nitrate level?

DanS180 said:
Yep, but my kH hasn't gone up at all... my nitrates are always at 0 now :)

Well, your bucket had a dKH of 13 at 1.028 and mixed into the tank water of 1.023 it came out to 10dKH. That seems about right. If you want it higher just add a little buffer, the alkalinity portion of two part or a bit of baking soda.

Well, your bucket had a dKH of 13 at 1.028 and mixed into the tank water of 1.023 it came out to 10dKH. That seems about right. If you want it higher just add a little buffer, the alkalinity portion of two part or a bit of baking soda.

Well I might just be acting crazy but 10° is good right? Lol

DanS180 said:
Well I might just be acting crazy but 10° is good right? Lol

Sure is. I was wondering why you wanted it to go higher. I know some people like slightly high levels but I never had any issues with 10°. Your in great shape.

On to a new topic tho.. I have a pink digi frag in my tank that's not really doing well.. the tips are bleached but its still growing a very lil bit... definitely doesn't look like when I first got it.. my question is.. do u think it's my light possibly?? Obv my parameters r good... I do have a birdsnest that's doing awesome so that's why I'm confused..

That can be a challenging coral to keep long term. I'd place it on the sand where nothing will fall on it. Lovely animal. Can't wait for a pic.

What color variant is it? The greens are supposedly the toughest ones to keep long term.

okay just did a lil light reading up on the flowerpot coral and yeah it is one that requires some care and specific needs but i dont see it being a problem. it recommends, moderate to high lighting which id consider my light to be moderate i guess(96w). and it recommends moderate to strong current, which i can put it in a spot where it has the best current without having it being blown over lol

at times it says to blow of detritus that settles between polyps as this will cause "Brown Jelly Disease"

Sounds like its the Hippo Tang of corals lol, its susceptible to a few diseases.

It is delicate but far from impossible. I had one for well over a year in my 30 before it just got way to big. A friend with a very high tech system bought it from me, put it on his rock wall and when a snail knocked it over the membrane got damaged and it died within two weeks. It's a very unforgiving coral. I never even take them out of water after acclimating them.

It is delicate but far from impossible. I had one for well over a year in my 30 before it just got way to big. A friend with a very high tech system bought it from me, put it on his rock wall and when a snail knocked it over the membrane got damaged and it died within two weeks. It's a very unforgiving coral. I never even take them out of water after acclimating them.

Yeah so I've read haha.. oh well its starting to open up.. I'll let it open a lil bit more than I'll take a pic for u guys

Anyone have any idea what these are?? I just vacuumed them out of my tank while doing a pwc. They're like bubbles.. eggs maybe? Cyano bubbles??

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121217_171841.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121217_171841.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 69
Taking a lil while to open up but its getting there :) it was about 10x bigger at my LFS

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121217_174000.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121217_174000.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 81
Back
Top Bottom