16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
Yeah I guess I need to get on that Mod already lol

I know I'm pushy about it (sorry about that) but it really will make your life a little easier, the filter so much quieter and the skimmer work better. I waited almost a year before doing it and it went from >:—( to XD pretty fast. lol I'm a fan of Skilters but I'd never use one without an air stone. I wish I knew why but the extra fine air stones do seem harder to find these days.

I know I'm pushy about it (sorry about that) but it really will make your life a little easier, the filter so much quieter and the skimmer work better. I waited almost a year before doing it and it went from >:—( to XD pretty fast. lol I'm a fan of Skilters but I'd never use one without an air stone. I wish I knew why but the extra fine air stones do seem harder to find these days.

Its totally find. Maybe Ill actually get this thing going tomorrow? And I'm sorry too but can u run a list of what I'll need? Hahaha I keep forgetting :(

I'll have to see if someone video taped themselves doing a Mod on one and put it on YouTube. That would make life sooo much easier :)

Oh, your shopping cart won't show up for anyone but you. Maybe try taking a snapshot or posting individual links for each item. I know that's a pain but your link only goes to a blank shopping cart on my iPod or my own cart on the PC.

Gotta say, Amazon is awesome. I'm ashamed of how much stuff I get on there. :hide:

Oh, your shopping cart won't show up for anyone but you. Maybe try taking a snapshot or posting individual links for each item. I know that's a pain but your link only goes to a blank shopping cart on my iPod or my own cart on the PC.

Gotta say, Amazon is awesome. I'm ashamed of how much stuff I get on there. :hide:

Darn, okay here we go.

Amazon.com: Lee's Airline Tubing, 25-Foot, Standard: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Tetra 77851 Whisper Air Pump, 10-Gallon: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Jardin Aquarium Fish Tank Ponds Ceramic Air Stone Diffusers, 40mm Diameter: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Bio Matrix - Complete Cartridge - 4 pk: Pet Supplies

That's definitely not the right air stone. It's way to coarse and to large to fit the column. I'll see if I can find a good one for you. Also, you don't need complete cartridges for the filter. You only need the filter pads. I'll look for that as well. Don't forget a check valve.

That's definitely not the right air stone. It's way to coarse and to large to fit the column. I'll see if I can find a good one for you. Also, you don't need complete cartridges for the filter. You only need the filter pads. I'll look for that as well. Don't forget a check valve.

Lol Okie dokie well im glad I didn't go ahead and purchase everything lol thanks! :)

Here's a list of a few good options. This air pump has an adjustable flow control knob which is very useful for turning the air higher or lower to get just the flow you need. The Tetra pumps are also fine but if you go that rout I'd actually get the 20.

These airstones are by far the best I've found. Sadly no ceramic ones seem to be around. I used these limewood stones for years and the key is to always soak them for a day in water before using them.

You'll need one of these for any air pump.

This is the best replacement pack for the Skilter. It comes with 12 carbon pads and 12 poly pads.

Here's a list of a few good options. This air pump has an adjustable flow control knob which is very useful for turning the air higher or lower to get just the flow you need. The Tetra pumps are also fine but if you go that rout I'd actually get the 20.

These airstones are by far the best I've found. Sadly no ceramic ones seem to be around. I used these limewood stones for years and the key is to always soak them for a day in water before using them.

You'll need one of these for any air pump.

This is the best replacement pack for the Skilter. It comes with 12 carbon pads and 12 poly pads.

Wow I didn't expect you to do this much research! :) much appreciated! Guess I'll order up some parts when I get home. You're awesome! :)

Thanks Dan. It really is harder to do when you aren't familiar with the mod. I've modded out two of these filters so it wasn't much work on the PC. I'm always happy to help. I just can't understand why nobody sells extra fine air stones anymore. Maybe because they were too pricy, but they lasted forever.

Thanks Dan. It really is harder to do when you aren't familiar with the mod. I've modded out two of these filters so it wasn't much work on the PC. I'm always happy to help. I just can't understand why nobody sells extra fine air stones anymore. Maybe because they were too pricy, but they lasted forever.

Lol yeah I suppose so, well I ordered the filter pads and air stones. I'm just gonna get the rest of the stuff from my LFS.

I'm gonna go with the whisper 20 for an air pump and get airline/check valve from there too, it's cheaper. :)

Yeah, the Whisper pumps are solid and it's easy to get parts if you ever need to. Sometimes their diaphragms get a little bit off center and need to be reseated. People complain about vibration or noise for any pump but if you open them up there's almost always some minor adjustment that solves it if the parts is still sound.

Yeah, the Whisper pumps are solid and it's easy to get parts if you ever need to. Sometimes their diaphragms get a little bit off center and need to be reseated. People complain about vibration or noise for any pump but if you open them up there's almost always some minor adjustment that solves it if the parts is still sound.

Yeah I used to have a whisper 60 on my 55 gallon FW and I never heard it at all. Very quiet for sure.

I have 2 koralia 425's in this tank, do u think adding a 3rd is too much? I just feel like I dont have enough flow :/

It's hard to say without seeing it in person but I used 3 or 4 circulation pumps in my 30L. As corals grow or more rock is added water flow starts to get impeded. It sure can't hurt to try. I found adding a wavemaker helped.

It's hard to say without seeing it in person but I used 3 or 4 circulation pumps in my 30L. As corals grow or more rock is added water flow starts to get impeded. It sure can't hurt to try. I found adding a wavemaker helped.

Okay well I guess I'll save my pennies for another PH. One more should do the trick I feel.

PS. I just got my filter cartridges and redsea air stones off amazon :) AND my gf got me a gift card to my LFS so I think I'll go n get the pump and airline and start messing with the skilter.

Back
Top Bottom