16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it wasn't your typical 20 dollar game from the store. It was in a solid wood case with drawers and everything. Only downside is the bottom is tempered glass so no drilling.

22engine said:
Well it wasn't your typical 20 dollar game from the store. It was in a solid wood case with drawers and everything. Only downside is the bottom is tempered glass so no drilling.

Oh wow, never seen that version of the game before, must be worth something lol and that sucks about the tank :/ I'm sure you'll make it work somehow

DanS180 said:
Oh wow, never seen that version of the game before, must be worth something lol and that sucks about the tank :/ I'm sure you'll make it work somehow

Might just to two aqua clear 110 's and mod them. Not sure. But that's enough of me jacking your thread. Hope the move goes good

22engine said:
Might just to two aqua clear 110 's and mod them. Not sure. But that's enough of me jacking your thread. Hope the move goes good

Haha nah its cool man, I don't mind... I moved my tank onto my new stand today. Added more sand and rearranged my live rock.. AGAIN lol post a pic once it's not so cloudy

I hear you on the cloudy. I did my WWC today and blew off all my rocks. Talk about a mess but my filter took care of most of it already. Looking forward to pics

22engine said:
I hear you on the cloudy. I did my WWC today and blew off all my rocks. Talk about a mess but my filter took care of most of it already. Looking forward to pics

Yeah I hear about ppl blowing off the rocks from time to time.. is it not good to have sand on the rocks? Or is it just ppl don't like sand on the rocks? Lol

DanS180 said:
Yeah I hear about ppl blowing off the wrongs from time to time.. is it not good to have sand on the rocks? Or is it just ppl don't like sand on the rocks? Lol

It's more to blow off any detritus/debris

Okay heres a few new pics. New stand, new LR layout and my new Halloween Hermit :) hes so cool and i just had to have him :) tell me what you guys think of the layout and whatnot!!!

Attachments

• 29G Reef New Stand.jpg
    29G Reef New Stand.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 99
  • Halloween Crab.jpg
    Halloween Crab.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 101
  • New LiveRock layout.jpg
    New LiveRock layout.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 94
Looks fantastic. There's some more space for you to utilize vertically though ;)

Looks fantastic. There's some more space for you to utilize vertically though ;)

haha i knew you were gonna say that lol, yeah i plan on getting more rock eventually and stacking it a lil higher, but thats pretty much the gist of what i wanna do.. have room all over the place for corals :)

oh and btw i found a Bulb Anemone at my LFS that i really like... so i might be getting one afterall ;)

DanS180 said:
haha i knew you were gonna say that lol, yeah i plan on getting more rock eventually and stacking it a lil higher, but thats pretty much the gist of what i wanna do.. have room all over the place for corals :)

oh and btw i found a Bulb Anemone at my LFS that i really like... so i might be getting one afterall ;)

Looks good and I like the stand. Go over to your neighbor and grab some of that rock and go higher. I am never satisfied by mine. Main reason it stays is my green bubble tip has his home and I don't want to bother him

Looks good and I like the stand. Go over to your neighbor and grab some of that rock and go higher. I am never satisfied by mine. Main reason it stays is my green bubble tip has his home and I don't want to bother him

I want to but its all dried out rock, wouldnt i have to cure it again?? dont know if im really up for all that lol

DanS180 said:
I want to but its all dried out rock, wouldnt i have to cure it again?? dont know if im really up for all that lol

It is now dead rock or base rock. So I would think that rinsing it off really good and making sure its clean you can put it in. Someone might correct me. But I bought base rock and didnt cure it.

You'll still have the nutrients that the rock has absorbed..its no where near the same as adding LR but you'll more then likely still see some diatoms maybe cyano. This early in your build though I wouldn't worry about it. You need to start looking at this tank more in the long run like 5+ yrs so you'll want to be absolutely satisfied with the look of it ;)

Mrc8858 said:
You'll still have the nutrients that the rock has absorbed..its no where near the same as adding LR but you'll more then likely still see some diatoms maybe cyano. This early in your build though I wouldn't worry about it. You need to start looking at this tank more in the long run like 5+ yrs so you'll want to be absolutely satisfied with the look of it ;)

No I understand the look of it and everything, I just thought itd be a long process before I could use it.. but if you guys are saying I can just rinse it off real good and use it, I'll probably get some.. what could it possibly cause my tank to do?? Cycle again? Major algae? Etc?? Or nothing at all??

It won't cycle again but you may see spikes in you ammo and nitrites from any left over organics on/in the rock.

And from my experience the algae you get from lace rock will usually only grow on the new rock since its sucking the nutrients from it.

DanS180 said:
No I understand the look of it and everything, I just thought itd be a long process before I could use it.. but if you guys are saying I can just rinse it off real good and use it, I'll probably get some.. what could it possibly cause my tank to do?? Cycle again? Major algae? Etc?? Or nothing at all??

That depends on how well he took care of his tank when he had it. If he used only RO water, did his water changes, and never treated for with copper it could be fine base rock.

Personally, I love the volcanic "lagoon" look you have going on. Lots of room for corals.

Even if you saw a small spike a water change would take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom