16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mrc8858 said:
I've found the best thing is either let them become encrusted or take some snips and break them up after the coral has grown some. I've seen a technique where people just put some pieces of epoxy putty on it to break up the shape

Interesting lol now someone said to wear gloves when messing with corals? Is that true?

On a side note, just talked to my neighbor and he NEVER put ANY chemicals into his tank so looks like I'll be buying some tonight or tomorrow :)!!

Here's a few of those corals after growing some

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120828_125249.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120828_125249.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20120828_125324.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120828_125324.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20120828_125434.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120828_125434.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 80
You should always wear powder free latex gloves but everyone risks it from time to time lol.. the "slime" on corals carries many bad bacterias for humans and zoas have a palytoxin which is extremely potent.. NEVER handle zoas with out gloves and if fragging wear goggles

Mrc8858 said:
You should always wear powder free latex gloves but everyone risks it from time to time lol.. the "slime" on corals carries many bad bacterias for humans and zoas have a palytoxin which is extremely potent.. NEVER handle zoas with out gloves and if fragging wear goggles

Well I don't know a thing about fragging yet so I'll be okay with the goggles but okay, guess I'll go out and get a pair of gloves :)

Blue clove polyps.. they are great but don't buy them if you don't want them EVERYWHERE lol they won't harm other corals or out compete but its amazing at how well they can spread from one side of the tank to the other leaving beautiful blue accents here and there :)

Mrc8858 said:
Blue clove polyps.. they are great but don't buy them if you don't want them EVERYWHERE lol they won't harm other corals or out compete but its amazing at how well they can spread from one side of the tank to the other leaving beautiful blue accents here and there :)

So maybe something to add after other colonies are growing and established and it will sort of fill in the empty spaces? Cause that would be fantastic!

Either way would be fine you could just drop new corals right on top of them. No real loss since those pics are only like 3 months apart lol.. they rival my gsp and xenias in growth rate but like I said they don't compete but will spring up anywhere and I mean anywhere in your tank they don't have to touch to spread.

DanS180 said:
Was this directed at him or me? Haha

It was directed to you! I like all your rocks. What's the news on your neighbors rock? Sorry if you've already said. I'm trying to get on track again.

Bearchumjs said:
It was directed to you! I like all your rocks. What's the news on your neighbors rock? Sorry if you've already said. I'm trying to get on track again.

No problem.. thank you!! I'm going to pick up some tonight or tomorrow morning, he said he has never added any chemicals into the water so that means no copper :) he knew what he was talking about to lol

DanS180 said:
No problem.. thank you!! I'm going to pick up some tonight or tomorrow morning, he said he has never added any chemicals into the water so that means no copper :) he knew what he was talking about to lol

Sounds good! I hope you get some nice peices!

Bearchumjs said:
Sounds good! I hope you get some nice peices!

Yeah I looked at em the other day.. from what I can remember he had some big decent pieces :) and they're like coral rock, kinda off white color, should look good

DanS180 said:
Yeah I looked at em the other day.. from what I can remember he had some big decent pieces :) and they're like coral rock, kinda off white color, should look good

You know what that means, right? More pics!!!

Its great to hear he knew what he was doing and you can get lots of rock. You should be able to get your tank banging with that coral hook-up you found. It may have been a lot of work but your tank's really going to come together fast now!

CorallineAlgae said:
You know what that means, right? More pics!!!

Its great to hear he knew what he was doing and you can get lots of rock. You should be able to get your tank banging with that coral hook-up you found. It may have been a lot of work but your tank's really going to come together fast now!

I know!! I can't wait to start doing all of this :) so exciting!!!

Figure I'll get the rest of the rock tonight.. mess with that a little see what I like and then tomorrow my new light gets here.. possibly go get some corals and then just wait for my new skilter to arrive :) pics soon to come!! I promise!!

Back
Top Bottom