16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
So here we go... Ive decided to go with the 29G tank. Better options, better space, better choice :) Bought more sand, salt mix and got 15gallons of RO/DI.

Tomorrows the big day to move everything over :/ hopefully it goes smoothly

Attachments

• Setting Up.jpg
    Setting Up.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 305
DanS180 said:
So here we go... Ive decided to go with the 29G tank. Better options, better space, better choice :) Bought more sand, salt mix and got 15gallons of RO/DI.

Tomorrows the big day to move everything over :/ hopefully it goes smoothly

Get any more rock?

not yet, prob go out tomorrow before i start to transfer everthing, i dont get paid until tomorrow or else i wouldve bought it today :)

Tomorrow i plan on getting some more Live Rock, prob wont get all of it tomorrow, dont wanna spend all of my paycheck(LR is usually 8.99/lb). then im gonna order my new light, go out and get my glasstop and some powerheads(or order online, not too sure yet) and thats pretty much it for now, already have the sand(total of 40lbs) and 15lbs of LR

Quick question. Should I definitely go with the skilter 250? Or should I just get a bigger filter like an aquaclear 70? I have an aquaclear 30 that's not in use but figured that'd be too small so I was just wondering

Get base rock instead

i was thinkin of that, but i dont think my LFS has base rock, they have Cured live rock at 6.99/lb(dont really like the look of it tho) Reef Ready rock at 8.99/lb and established Live rock(been in their tanks for a few years) at 10.99/lb

No it is dry rock that has no algae growth on it but will grow some after a few weeks or you can seed it and add some live rock and some base rock to get it to become "live" faster

Pufferlove said:
No it is dry rock that has no algae growth on it but will grow some after a few weeks or you can seed it and add some live rock and some base rock to get it to become "live" faster

So you're saying if I bought base rock I could just put it into the tank with the LR I already have and it'd be okay? No precautions?

Pretty much I've noticed sometimes ill have small algae outbreaks on the new pieces from them leaching out the last of any nutrients but nothing serious. It's the best way to go imo when adding to a cycled tank.

Mrc8858 said:
Pretty much I've noticed sometimes ill have small algae outbreaks on the new pieces from them leaching out the last of any nutrients but nothing serious. It's the best way to go imo when adding to a cycled tank.

Okay well when I go to the LFS tomorrow I'll ask if they have any.. hopefully it's cheap :)

There are different kinds that you can get I personally like the "paradise rock" since its mainly coral skeletons and its pretty porous making it weigh a whole lot less.

Mrc8858 said:
There are different kinds that you can get I personally like the "paradise rock" since its mainly coral skeletons and its pretty porous making it weigh a whole lot less.

Ahh that'd be pretty cool looking, hopefully they have some good stuff.. and I hope it's $2.99/lb lol

Should I be expecting a 2nd cycle with transferring to a new tank? Except this time as a fish-in cycle?

Should I be expecting a 2nd cycle with transferring to a new tank? Except this time as a fish-in cycle?

Yes it is possible, and it would be a wise thing to keep and eye on ammonia the first week or so. If anything gets outta hand water changes will help limit the problem. Just keep some mixed saltwater on hand incase.

Back
Top Bottom