1st SW build part 2 - Nano Column Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your going to want to feed the scooter a few times a day, do a little research on dragonet care and you'll get the idea on it's needs.

Your going to want to feed the scooter a few times a day, do a little research on dragonet care and you'll get the idea on it's needs.

Sounds good. I have a question about the pods in the HOB. How would I clean it out and not kill off all my good guys.

I have only rinsed the media in it in old pwc SW then a dip in new SW, I have a 3x5 inch wad of Chaeto in there and 2 pads of bulk filter media Purigen packet.

I also have a phosguard packet. Would I want to use that too?

Just take the chaeto out and keep it in the tank while your cleaning the filter.

New frags ...

So a small special going at the lfs when I went to get SW, those sneaky stores trying to lure you in, with specials, lol!

Sorry, no pics right now.

Got 3 $2.00 each,

one mushroom, kinda crinkly and bluish purplish similar to a green striped variety

2 small unknown Zoas with 8-15 tiny polyps. Didn't really count them, one has more than the other.

4 for $40 + 1 free

1 Leather in yellow, they thought it might be a Fiji Yellow leather, grows low and ruffled, this one is 2" wide and .75-1" wide. 2 bluish crinkly mushrooms.

1 Zoa with little poyps with green center and yellow circles

1 Zoa with more orange and yellow with a neon green eye

1 Zoa with some color couldn't tell maybe blue or purple and another bright yellow, kinda between bright yellow and banana peel yellow.

1 Zoa with more bright orange and a few mushrooms on the side

Was happy with what I did get, but not too happy they were really low on selection. About 50 of the same few Palys and there was a decent amount of the other 5-8 varieties in the budget range.

I have at least 2 Stomatella snails.

Can't wait for the other coral store this weekend, and then MACNA next weekend :dance:

Last edited:
Just make sure you feed it a couple times a day and see it eat. Also be very careful what other fish you add to the tank because they are pretty timid and easily out competed for food which, combined with their different digestive requirements leads to a lot of dragonet deaths :(, peaceful slow fish are what your going to want to look for (you may like a pipefish, cool fish with similar care requirements as dragonets)

I am and it seems to be eating all the time!

So today went shopping and found some things.

$5. red trumpet and a $10 2p blue trumpet which was splitting on both sides.

A neon green mushroom $5.

a palm size Red Frilly MacroAlgae I think Halymenia Floridana with some little Bispira viola $5.

AND.......a little Clown Goby. So cute. :dance:

Here is the new Acan (at least that is what I think it is, lol)

So I picked this up today and just got it settled in. It isn't open yet.

Normally the outer edge is Green the big middle space is orange then a ring of pink with purple in the center.

If it's kind has a name please let me know. I will get a better pic when it opens up .

60074-albums13960-picture67336.jpg

Didn't go to MACNA today, didn't feel that good, to run around for 9 hours, so I think Sunday.

BTW my little Clown Goby hides but seems well and comes out most of the time now when I come over to the tank. Of course I feed it when it comes out to see what is going on. :angel: It seems to have grown since I put it into the tank last week! It has a slight orange tint to the yellow which I really like. The grown one at the SW LFS is a bit orange as well, really pretty.

The little Red Dragonet is doing great, he is very active all over the rocks, everywhere, and eats so much, but doesn't seem to be getting fat yet.

This week end I'll try to catch up a few pics. I am gonna try out the digital camera tomorrow.

The zoas look like mean greens :). Nice acan!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you Bribo. Any more names you might think...just shoot them out for me!

I couldn't resist a couple of pics even though they aren't very good.

This is my favorite; it shows my two little fish. One on the sand and the other (Clown Goby) looking for me to feed it.

60074-albums13960-picture67338.jpg

The far back left has a Kenya Tree, I think, it is on a frag plug with 2 nice mushrooms. Should I take off the Kenya Tree as it is a weedy type thing?

I have the little 5G Chi Macro Algae, algae, QT tank. Could or should I put it in there?
60074-albums13960-picture67339.jpg

Here is a little frag which has neon green rings, orange around the outside, such a bad pic it is hard to tell though, it slid off of it's rock...

60074-albums13960-picture67337.jpg

Last week I offended one of the lfs workers by saying I didn't want any weedy type Cloves or Xenia in the tank and he showed me his personal tank which had a couple types in there and was annoyed I called them weeds. :oops:

Yes put the Kenya tree in there... That pic is great :), I like it! The other zoas you just posted are radioactive dragon eyes.
Btw that's a funny story with the lfs guy lol

Yes put the Kenya tree in there... That pic is great :), I like it! The other zoas you just posted are radioactive dragon eyes.
Btw that's a funny story with the lfs guy lol

Wow, Radioactive Dragon Eyes, oooooh that that sounds exciting, lol. They are really eye catching. Those are ones I got last week as well as the Mean Green ones.

Oh forgot to mention the Green Mushroom in the glass dish. Does it have a name?

I had just moved it before the pic so it might attach to the little cube, but after I touched it it got pale. More often it's a glowing green color all around. It isn't perfectly round as it was growing next to another coral and when it was removed it was sort of apple shaped.

Yeah, the lfs guy I had to talk him down from having steam coming out of his ears, lol. :flowers:

Thanks for the help Bribo!

Oh also is Phyto plankton help anything I have in the tank? I have some Seachem kind and I was adding a little bit, maybe a 1/4-1/3 tsp every day or 2...

Last edited:
Green mushroom lol. Only zoas and sps get the fun names lol :). Um I wouldn't use the phyto out of the bottle, it isn't alive and just tends to add phosphates.

Love the Green Mushroom name it fits so well! Thank you for letting me know about the bottled stuff. Oh, and it smells like Italian salad dressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh also got 2 fish, they are little now, and will go to the someday soon 35G.

They are Saddleback Clowns from Sustainable Aquatics, tank bred. Pics later, they are chillin with the lights out.

And a Turtle Grass Shoot

Last edited:
Its going pretty well. I have one little spot of yellowish algae that looks like it came on the mushroom frag. Then I did a bad thing and used a regular bulb as a spot for it as it happened to be under a rock and didn't get as much light. The rest of the tank is growing things and the 2 Saddleback Clowns and the little Clown Goby. And red Dragonet are doing well. It is nice to see fish in the tank.

What I have been so excited about is that I haven't had any major probems so far and feel like now I know I can keep things alive, it is time to move to the next stage. Maybe a better light set up and maybe change the tank to a larger size so I can spread things out. I also have a glass edge tank no other parts and was maybe thinking little Zoa garden. So things are good. Thank you for asking.

Its going pretty well. I have one little spot of yellowish algae that looks like it came on the mushroom frag. Then I did a bad thing and used a regular bulb as a spot for it as it happened to be under a rock and didn't get as much light. The rest of the tank is growing things and the 2 Saddleback Clowns and the little Clown Goby. And red Dragonet are doing well. It is nice to see fish in the tank.

What I have been so excited about is that I haven't had any major probems so far and feel like now I know I can keep things alive, it is time to move to the next stage. Maybe a better light set up and maybe change the tank to a larger size so I can spread things out. I also have a glass edge tank no other parts and was maybe thinking little Zoa garden. So things are good. Thank you for asking.
Sounds cool! Any photos of the new fish? Clowns are awesome little dudes. That red dragonet is a neat little fish. If you can keep him alive and happy, then you are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom