1st SW build part 2 - Nano Column Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
This springs off of the 5G Chi tank started about a month ago. Here is the thread for that one, Part 1... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/first-sw-nano-chi-5g-309063.html

So after adding an additional bag of sand, 20lbs plus about 3-4 lbs from the Chi and more live rock 4.5 lb sized stone, to the original live rock and the pieces I put in originally which were dry, this is what I have. The two top rocks will be adjusted somewhat after a few weeks because I wanted any live bacteria in the rocks I had to be useful so I added both of the last rocks even though they didn't look quite the way I wanted.

Here is my first Coral in the tank, although I already bought 4 and they are still at the growers because of setting everything up.

Orange Ricordea

60074-albums13960-picture66833.jpg

Closer up of the bottom of the tank, although I just added about 10 empty shells for the Hermits. Plus you can see maybe a 1/4 to a 1/3rd of the little snails.
60074-albums13960-picture66838.jpg

Side shot, you can see how many nooks and crannies there are better from the side.
60074-albums13960-picture66834.jpg

One pic is opened the most. This is the one that fell off the rock and landed on the branch of the Red MacroAlgae and I left it until I decide for sure where everything will go.
60074-albums13960-picture66832.jpg

This pic I fed the shrimp and snails and it closed up some I think due to the particles floating around from stirring it all up.

It is much more orange in person. So far I haven't seen the middle as a neon green.
60074-albums13960-picture66833.jpg

This is the Peppermint Shrimp I got a few days ago.
60074-albums13960-picture66836.jpg

Here is one of my 9 Nerita snails. I like them and several are green blue turquoise, and one is much more black colored than the rest. I already found I have a female or 2 with egg plastering on the rocks.

60074-albums13960-picture66837.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like things are going well what stock are you thinking of for this tank I got some of that same macro it's quiet nice

Looks like things are going well what stock are you thinking of for this tank I got some of that same macro it's quiet nice

Thank you. I love the Red MA.

Right now this tank has a 10W compact 50/50 in the hood and 1 10W pointed at the side.

If you read through the part 1 Chi thread you know I have over 100 snails, give ot tank as many took a walk about and I threw them back but don't know for sure who made it and who didn't, except one Nerite was a gonner. I think the shrimp and Hermits had a healthy snack.

There are 2 Blue legs Hermits
1 Peppermint Shrimp and
1 Fire Red Shrimp
Zig Zag snails, Dwarf Ceriths, and Ceriths and I cna't recal this mon=ment which other, oh an Astrea snail...
Red Macroalgae
One Orange Ricordea

I have already bought (still at Mind Blowing Corals awaiting my pick up)
1 teal trumpets
1 2 head Duncan
1 Red mushrooms little colony
1 something I can't remember, lol

Want to pick up maybe Blue Balls and maybe another $5. Teal Trumpet. They also have a MBC Pink Eye Chalice and I think the color is gorgeous, but I don't know about its care yet.

They got a few more things in so I want to see them in person before deciding. They are under $20. each. Like a kid in a $20 + candy store, lol.

Unless you think these 2 10W 50/50 bulbs would be enough to grown any interesting stuff, I am planning to get a new stronger light.

What about degrees in lighting this is 90 degrees, I have seen 120 as well...
This one is dimmable
Evergrow Dimmable Full Spectrum D120 120W LED Light for Reef Saltwater Aquarium | eBay

Then maybe a Mystic Sunset and Undata Montipora, if I will have the right light.

For a fish, some kind of Goby. And I have been going over choices for Nano fish from Live Aquaria's suggestions. Any one else, nano fish ideas???

Should I stock/buy some small kind(s) of pods.

I have Chaeto in the HOB also.

Any one have any suggestions about anything let me know.

It is still clearing up from the new sand. They nylon sock over the intake isn't helping, I just don't want any little snails in the impeller. I think I will buy a pack of cheap knee highs and use and throw away each week.

Sorry there was so much to read haha I would get something like a yellow clown goby they are pretty awesome and would look cool darting in and out of the rocks for a light have you looked at something like a 35 watt par 38? I think iv seen a 90 watt full spectrum one as well but was a bit $$.
Your tank is very unique I like it! Don't see man column tanks being used

Sorry there was so much to read haha I would get something like a yellow clown goby they are pretty awesome and would look cool darting in and out of the rocks for a light have you looked at something like a 35 watt par 38? I think iv seen a 90 watt full spectrum one as well but was a bit $$.
Your tank is very unique I like it! Don't see man column tanks being used

Sorry about so much text, just very excited:oops: lol.

Yes there is probably a reason you don't see them, because of the low light reaching the bottom. I have been wanting this shape tank for 2 years at least, I can always use it for another purpose. Also likely will need to lighten up the rock work.

I'd definitely rearrange the rocks. I can see a couple of areas where dead spots will form. I'd also throw in a powerhead for water movement. Looks like a cool upgrade though :)

Thanks Bribo...

I have a powerhead, just need to figure out where it is.

Today I got some little stuff from the far away, lfs.

Chaeto sandwhich bag $5.00

Dead Coral stone 4" branch piece with, I thought about 7, but there are more than that, maybe 12, little Zoas 2.99

Stone with 1 blueish Mushroom 2.99 Looked Bluish in their tank, looks kinda Periwinkle pinkish color in my tank

Yellow and green Montipora 2.99 1.25" cube
Blue Violet pink raspberry color Montipora 7.99 1.25" cube

Blue mushroom, there may be 2, looks like a little one under the side, maybe...
60074-albums13960-picture66867.jpg

Encrusting montipora...Anyone know a name for these? I had to move the light so you can't see the color as well in the pic.

60074-albums13960-picture66868.jpg

Last edited:
My hermit changed into one of the pretty shells I threw in last week.

My Orange Ricordea's little shell it was anchored in fell off when it slid over the side of the rock. I picked it up and put it in a dish on a rubble rock and am still waiting for it to attach. It opens and closes and moves all around in that little glass dish, I move it over to a good spot and the next time I see it its wiggled over to the edge. :/

How many hours should I have my light on for, it is a 10W 50/50 in the hood and then I have a 10W on a desk lamp which I could move around and point to something, like the Chaeto in the hob.

A couple things have come up and I am still deciding on a lighting option. I thought I had decided, but then with this 15G, there is a top/hood and some room to retrofit.

Probably picking up my corals tomorrow from Mind Blowing Corals. Will be checking out the lfs fish. See what kind of Gobies they have.

How many Peppermint shrimp should I have if I also want 2-3 Sexy Shrimp? I now have one Fire and one Peppermint. They are on sale right now for $4.99 and then I get 20% off.

I might try to order the Sexy shrimp tomorrow too.

For cheato, you can keep the light on 24/7.

good to know.

Another question about Chaeto-What about how dirty it seems to get, and cleaning new Chaeto? The last chunk I got was really full of scummy particles. Also it is loosing tons of little Chaeto bits all over the tank from the new baggie full/chunk I put in.

Should I suck up the little pieces which now litter the floor of the tank rinse them and keep them or throw them out?

looking good
deep tank aren't they fun I go swimming in my 90
love the tall column but it has to be hard to reach in
are those rocks glued together some fish will knock them over that's a long fall to the bottom hate to see a rock crash through bottom
those little parts of cheato will get stuck in your power head

looking good
deep tank aren't they fun I go swimming in my 90
love the tall column but it has to be hard to reach in
are those rocks glued together some fish will knock them over that's a long fall to the bottom hate to see a rock crash through bottom
those little parts of cheato will get stuck in your power head

Well not glued or anything, I added the extra rocks at the top for the live rock good bacteria I had from the 5G Chi, to keep as much of the live rock as possible in the tank.

So the top two chunks were going to be, 1 removed and one re positioned.

One is like an arch so I thought that would look nice. Now I have way too much rock in there, as I noticed when I was trying to get the little coral branch out of the bottom sand, after it slid part way into the rock cave. I could barely get it out of there :facepalm:

So I need to rework things obviously. Suck out the chaeto bits. And rethink the rocks.

The center column of rocks are only 4 plus the 2 whiter ones on top, with the ones that look like coral branches about in the center as rubbly pieces. Then there are a few small rubble pieces stuck all around for the LR bacteria benefit but will probably sell them as I don't have anywhere for them if I take them out. I am probably picking up my 4 paid for coral frags today and getting one or two more, little guys.

Kinda wanted a fish but don't know what is available at the lfs. And I am pretty limited on choices suitable for the tank as it is now.

The rocks were placed on the bottom and stacked like a sandwich, then sand, horizontally and wiggled and jiggled to check stability.

I am just worried about taking out half of it that I won't have enough LR filtration, and also that I hardly feel like I know what I am doing.

could always break a few of those bigger ones into more workable sizes
that way you can create ledges and at the same time create more room for easy maintenance
Just had a brain storm for your scape build it into a C shaped cove would give you plenty of surface area for coral and make it easy for you to work on
always good to have someone working with you as you scape as they are your eyes
to things you can't see from up top of the tank
you got a great imagination look at your other tanks

I am just worried about taking out half of it that I won't have enough LR filtration, and also that I hardly feel like I know what I am doing.
Ahhhh it's not rocket science
basic chemistry most of those you already have from the fw side now just add a few more things and your a pro lol
believe it or not sw is easier

Don't feel like sw is easier... I don't know yet I have been feeling uneasy about the sw tank. Maybe not harder but there is so much testing needed to do a great job, I don't much care for testing.

So I have been wondering about this tank. Should I shut it down, sell off some live rock and rescape like I initially intended, paint the trim on my 35G Jebo and add new lighting in the hood and keep rockin' the salty side in that tank where I can have a few fish...???

So far just have the 2 shrimp which I almost never see, a Fire Red and a Peppermint.

The Hermits ditched their old shells and went for the newer ones I added, then ditched them again for some even bigger ones, one was from a almost 2" long Cerith, that is an interesting thing to see, he hasn't quite figured out that it sticks out that far! So then I wondered if he killed the snail or if the snail died from other causes.

I still have about a zillion snails in the tank. Still haven't picked up my other corals from the seller. :blink:

So progress is that the tank has been pretty stable, doing pwc about every 10 days or so. One time hadn't done any for awhile and the Nitrates were at 20ppm.

My little Mushroom has tripled in size, pic should be attached, the red Monti which fell upsidedown onto the sand has recovered and started getting little green eyes, about 11 I think I counted! The yellow one didn't fare as well after falling down a second time and that was the end.

60074-albums13960-picture67143.jpg

60074-albums13960-picture67144.jpg

This Mushroom was sold as a Blue Mushroom...it doesn't look like its blue to me...anyone know?
60074-albums13960-picture67145.jpg

The Macros are doing well and the secondary jar with the Grape and Feather are doing alright but I might just add them to the tank if I upgrade to the larger size.

My internet connection is taking forever, so I will load a few more pics later, of the Hermit, the snails and the Orange Ricordia.

Last edited:
The pic is a little tough but that monti looks like a chalice. The big green "eyes" make me think chalice over monti too. Montis have pretty tiny polyps

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The pic is a little tough but that monti looks like a chalice. The big green "eyes" make me think chalice over monti too. Montis have pretty tiny polyps

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Interesting... so what differences are there in care? I saw a Chalice here somewhere and thought it looked similar. Since I don't know that much didn't give it additional thought, lol

Back
Top Bottom