2.5 nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis_2004

Aquarium Advice Activist
help me out please
um ok here is were i stand i am in the process of converting my 2.5 from fresh to a little nano coral aquarium. i intend to use my magnum 350 as the sole fillter of it. i am going to be running live rock rubble and micro algea in the fillter. heres the problem the wmagnum 350 puts out 350 gallons per hour so thats like 175/tanks/per hour is that to much flow or is that good.

I think that is TO much flow...but thats my opinion, I mean that would make the water way way clean, wow thats a powerful filter for a 2.5!

well now i belive i can get my hands on a little 5 gallon aquarium which would put it at a rate of 70gallons an hour
thats sounds a little bit better right

That filter should be fine for either tank. You would not need a power head most likely ... That would keep the water turning fully per hour ... I have mine turning close to a rate of 250 per hour on the 10 gallon and plan on doing the same for the 2nd 10 that is currently in the works

i got a mini bow 5, and right now i am working on the fillteration and how i want all that to work. the next thing is that i have a 100 watt heater, and am woundering if that is to big to use in the aquarium.

yes that is too big you will want a 25 or 50 watt , the other will heat up too quickly for that size tank

250 turn over rate on a 10 gallon? I thought I was pushin it with closer to a 20 turn over rate (200gph)

I really think that 350gph is too much flow for even 10 gallon, much less a 2.5 or 5 gallon. if there is any way to safely turn that filter down, it would be much better imho, that or if you can greatly disrupt the water flow in the tank so that is itsnt actually turning over that much.

I think that I figured that wrong
my filter is a marineland ~~~~350gph
mini-jet 606 full tilt ~~~~~~~ 160gph
mini-jet 404 full tilt ~~~~~~~ 106gph
total out put is 616 =60 times an hour of the 10 gallon and aprox 40-50 times ont the other 10 gallon
Edited to fix the math :roll: :oops: :lol:

I didnt do the math the other half did LOL wtih the day I have had I am not surprised that I miscalculated that :oops:

ok i got the 350magnum on a 5 gallon mini bow aquarium, and by the way the flow looks just right for it. the aquarium has a 50 watt heater, should i get another one. and heres were i come up with my next problem how small can i get a mantis shrimp into, i would like to put one into this 5 gallon. and i am woundering if that is advisable or not ?
Thanks for the advice
Krib

I would not add another heater for that size tank ...as to the mantis I am not real well versed on them but you could put one in that size tank ....flordia rock usually carries them as a hitchhiker , some online stores also carrie them just watch your fingers and hands as they move with lightning speed to strike

hey i just riped my mini bow top apart to find that the light in it is a double balast, sweet. can any one point me to a topic that mods the hood or somthing like that.

Back
Top Bottom