2.5 nano (pics and stocking question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyler

Aquarium Advice Freak
at two weeks

nanofull2.jpg

now for the question: what sort of livestock should i put in there? i think some sort of shrimp would be nice, but what type wouldn't be cramped in there? as far as corals, i have 2x13 50/50's on there, so i don't think lighting is an issue, but i'd prefer corals that wouldn't crowd the tank or engage in warfare. what would be suggested for such little tank? i have some mushrooms i picked up as hitchhikers waiting in a friends tank for my tank to stabalize. would these go well in there?

I think peppermint shrimp are entertaining. They also serve a useful purpose other than just looks. Mushrooms would do well I think.

I agree with Hara on the peppermint shrimp...they are great and totally harmless to anything in the tank except for aiptasia anemones which you don't want anyway. I like the fire shrimp a lot too. 2-3 hermits (scarlets or blue legs)...a snail or two. Maybe some star polyps. Even some ricordia. I think whatever you put in there will need to be trimmed back once in a while since it's a small tank. I started with a 10 and have moved up to a 20 due to space limitations. One other critter that I have found pretty neat is an emerald crab. There is, I believe, some doubt as to how suitable these are in a reef, but mine hasn't bothered anything yet. He was really skittish at first, but will come up to eat from my hand now. As far as fish go, I'd say maybe one small damsel or maybe a cardinal. JMHO.
Logan J

I agree on the small polyps, obviously no anemones, mushrooms would be good, anything that is low lying is perfect. If you get a shrimp id do pepermint, a fish, maybe a fire goby...Small tank fish are iffy. I always wanted a 2.5 nano. Im glad i see you did it.

i'm pretty certain there won't be a fish in there. too small, don't want to muck up the bioload with a little crap-factory. it would be interesting though...

does anybody know anything about camel shrimp? peps are nice and cheap, but a bit elusive. guess there's not really anywhere to hide in there though. hopefully he could munch down the aptaisia. fires are too expensive in my neck of the woods, if i'm thinking of the same shrimp.

i like polyps and zoos. wouldn't mind the whole tank being overgrown with one or the other...or both.

Camel back shrimp are normally not reef safe. I have seen ones that love to munch on coral. Another alternative is skunk back common cleaner shrimp.You could also try harliquin shrimp like the one in my avatar, they are expensive, but very entertaining, you have to feed them a starfish every month. I always use chocalate chip starfish, as they are only 4 bucks at my lfs.

Just a cool little idea for you, Go out and buy a few zoo's and put them on your power head, I have seen it some where and loved it!

i'll just go with the pepperment. i've never seen harlequins around here, and that starfish bit sounds like too much extra work.

tested the water today
0-0-0 ph was a bit low for my liking though. i'll change out a gallon (how funny does that sound).

there's a reef club meeting coming up on saturday. hoping to pick up a frag or two. i'd LOVE to get my hands on a green star polyps and zoos.

Back
Top Bottom