20 gal nano tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For a reef, you'll want to have 20-50 times the size of the tank for flow.
A skimmer isn't necessary for a tank under 30 gallons, but I would want some type of filtration besides a HOB filter.

Not really, though you could use it to run additional media in there as well. I'd want some type of nutrient export on a reef tank I was running, be it a refugium or algae turf scrubber.

Hob fuge can be very successful even though I have never used one myself. If I wasn't going to upgrade though I would be looking into something like that

Any suggestions on the cheapest light that will support corals in a 20 high? Well be getting some zoas and maybe mid level light corals. Wanting to go led.

I use a TaoTronics 165w dimmable. It's hardly more than you would pay for a plant light in freshwater on Amazon. It is hanging though. Just found a stud and put it up. The thing lights up the whole room and hallway easy.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436064173.769044.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1436064227.320618.jpg

Caleb

I use the same thing but over my 10g.... Getting one more to hang when I upgrade cause these things allow you to keep anything. Which means my coral collection might grow rapidly since I own a little demon fish apprently, but hey, never too many coral or clams

Thanks for replies!

The ceiling above the tank is high and I would rather not use a hanging light. At $150 I was hoping to find a bit cheaper fixture, are any of the finnex fixtures sufficient? My local Petco carries a few sw fixtures in the $125 range, I'll be going tomorrow and can get the brand names.

Any shrimp will work.
Point that powerhead to the surface.
If it can not be aimed up just move it up to create surface agitation.

Alright, and it has been moved up since that last picture. Its agitating the surface and causing a pretty heavy current. I'll still be adding another power head. Excluding the low flow of my 50 gal aquaclear Hob exactly how many gph flow should I be looking for specifically on a 20 high?

Well this weekend we are going to get a little more rock in there, still need to start the cycling process. I cannot wait to get everything up and running, I'm dying to see some life in there. :) I would like to start with some gobies and go from there. We will keep it updated as we go, thanks for all of the input!

Back
Top Bottom