20 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The t5's were changed about a month ago and the MH's were just changed Sunday.

That may help, it may also be time to change/ clean your filter media. I would just siphon out as much as you can and if it comes back start digging deeper

Ok added my shrimp today. Let the wait begin! How long until I should see the ammonia rise? How long do I leave the shrimp in? I used one size large frozen raw shrimp. 31-50 per pound. Is one enough? How do I know when my cycle is over?

Ok added my shrimp today. Let the wait begin! How long until I should see the ammonia rise? How long do I leave the shrimp in? I used one size large frozen raw shrimp. 31-50 per pound. Is one enough? How do I know when my cycle is over?
Just check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Your cycle is usually over when you have no ammonia or nitrites. I'd wait a week or 2 after that happens just to be sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

pic of the tank. I added some live rock to the display and some rubble for the refugium. Nitrites are barely detectable and I haven't had detectable ammonia for over a week.

Just tested the water today and got 0 ppm nitrite 0 ppm ammonia and 5 ppm nitrate.

I have a skimmer and do 3 gallon water changes weekly.

Yea I understand it takes longer to cycle with water changes but I plan on waiting til I get back from vacation to add Any livestock. I leave in may and get back at the end of June so 3 months is a pretty long time without a water change.

Yea I understand it takes longer to cycle with water changes but I plan on waiting til I get back from vacation to add Any livestock. I leave in may and get back at the end of June so 3 months is a pretty long time without a water change.

It's not that it takes longer, it's just not gonna work well. You are ridding of the ammonia and such, so the BB doesn't break it down. So it won't cycle.

Removing the ammonia with 3 gallon water changes weekly?

So I don't change the water for 3 months?

You change the water when the cycle ends basically. Btw you have the patience of a saint to let it go fish less for that long

So I don't change the water for 3 months?

Well, you don't have anything that needs trace elements to be replenished ATM. And the tank is cycling, so nutrients aren't really an issue. The only problem I could see is phosphates introducing algae.

Back
Top Bottom