20 gallon long Clownfish tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildWade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I'm soon to be moving into a new home and have decided to jump into FOWLR saltwater. I want a 20L clownfish tank. Is there any species that would work better? i will be using aquacultured for sure. I know they are group fish, so I was wondering how many this size tank would require and if there is any little tricks any of you experienced guys would like to pass onto this novice.

Thank you all.

I apologize. My wording was wrong. I knew they weren't schooling. I just meant like a trio or foursome by the group reference. I want to do the larger footprint type tank, so maybe a upgrade to a larger L or B tank might be what's called for. I'm in the planning process now so I have lots of time to plan this out. I want my Ocellaris to be as happy as can be. Lol. And can the patterns of Ocellaris be mixed or would I have to have a pair of the same pattern?

Sweet. So a slightly larger tank for the pair I would be good. I will have them and a smaller clean up crew as well as a pound of rock per 2 gallons of water. I want a very natural looking tank so I can have my own bit of the ocean. Lol.

Are the numbers correct on my rock? Or is that too much?

It's usually a pound of rock per gallon. I personally do more. For instance, before I upgraded my Biocube 29, I had almost 40 pounds of live rock in it. Come to think of it, 10 pounds of live rock won't be enough i wouldn't think. I'd try to do as close (or more) to 20 pounds as you could.

So I'll shoot for a pound and a half per gallon. I'm very methodical. I'm going to buy my tank and equipment. Then set up and fill. As soon as that's done, I'll order my live sand. Once the sand has been set up and ordered, I'm ordering my rock. Either all live rock or a LR/DR 60/40 blend. Is there any little things the Ocellaris need? Like I said, it'll be a species tank so I can cater to anything. I know anemone are not a necessity especially for the aquacultured guys.

Try and add the rock and live sand at the same time (doesn't have to be live sand either). If you can afford it, get good and cultured live rock. If you can, you probably won't even see and cycle. I did this three times with different tanks and I never saw a cycle.

Sweet. I have been shopping around for rock. I'll be moved in in a month and my budget is $750 for this tank. Of course about $200 will be spent on the live rock. Lol. I plan on doing the HOB filter acting kinda like a refugium type deal. Stuff it with media and leave the top off and add a small clip light to increase BB growth.

I have a 20L setup with 20lbs of LR a hob ac50 with a aftermarket drop in basket as well as a in tank protein skimmer.

2 clowns, one Reynolds goby, 5 turbos, 3 margarita snails, misc crabs,2 peppermint shrimp, a fire shrimp and a emerald crab.

Params are perfect with a 20% wc bi weekly.

Planning on a 40B in the future when money allows and this 20 will become a sump.

its better to set up the live rock before putting the sand in because it will be more sturdy than placing it on sand i would get some crates and put them on the bottom first to keep the rock from scratching/cracking the glass. put the sand in when you have your rock the way you want it

I have 2 OCs in my 20 gallon (one an SA Fancy and another an SA Black and white) and they are very happy.

Back
Top Bottom