20 gallon nano setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madmike10000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a 20l gallon nano in the middle of my cycle. High nitrite mostly now and i have a powerhead 20 pounds of live rock and 20 pounds of crushed coral. Im using a fluval 30clear filter. My question is do i need it? I plan on getting easy corals down the road. Mostly mushrooms and softies. Is the filter a waste of time or do i have everything i need. Lights are 4 quad t5 96watts total. And people said i need a refugium but i have seen this size nano reef be great wothout one. Just want to get the setup right for i can play the waiting game and not have to chang stuff down the road. Picture is my old light. New one havent came in yet

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1426915893064.jpg
    1426915893064.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 138
You'll need some sort of filtration to remove uneaten food and poop. If you want to do this by a HOB filter, canister filter, or a sump that is up to you but keep in mind how often they need cleaned when it comes to hob filters and canisters. When it comes to lowering nitrate levels, you can avoid the use of a skimmer as you will be able to do large water changes to do so in a pinch.
You need a powerhead in your system for some water movement. This is important for oxygen/co2 exchange and even more important towards waterflow for corals.

Update. Things are great corals are thriving and my levels never change with my maintenence. Thanks for the help guys

Attachments

• 1430356567828.jpg
    1430356567828.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 110
Just curious but how often are you doing a water change and what percentage of water are you changing? Everything looks healthy and this is about what I'm getting ready to myself but in a 20 high. Also, what kind of water are you using? (distilled or r/o) I'm trying to figure out what kind of water change I will be looking at once my tank is up and ruining :)

Every week 20% distilled water

Nice looking tank. You might want to consider a 2nd powerhead to eliminate any dead spots

Back
Top Bottom