20 gallon reef update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy91

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,
Its been awhile since I've been on the site and wanted to give some people an update on my first 20 gallon reef set up that started about a year ago.
Lets say it's been a rough and good learning experience the entire away lol. But so much fun I can't ever give up! I love my tank more and more each day thanks to everyone here and their advice. So far from my last question about a year ago I have added a small refugium to the back an extra wave maker and protein skimmer. So I'll be posting pics soon.
I did have a big and I mean a major big hair algae break out a few months ago but it's going away pretty quickly now with my new protein skimmer installed. Also I've added a few corals and you can see the xenia has gone nuts. And still is, but capt. Jack aka clownfish has hosted it well and claimed it as his home lol.

Before a cleaning.

Attachments

• 1392699416809.jpg
    1392699416809.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 151
Clownfish a few weeks ago

Attachments

• 1392700386320.jpg
    1392700386320.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 137
Had to move the rocks around to get some more spots for corals. I also added another light. (Testing to see if it'll be too intense for the corals) But all is going well and almost all my hair algae is gone! :) and I'm starting to see a lot more coral growth.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394069403714.jpg
    1394069403714.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 104
What does your sump setup up look like? What skimmer are you using? I have a 20 and am trying to set up a sump but haven't figured out how I'm going to do my overflow yet. BigRed if you have any advise it'd be much appreciated.

I think I am going to do a HOB, I almost made one out of an old HOB filter yesterdaty by drilling a hole and fastening a bulkhead, but then read in four other forums that it would be a disaster matching the pump speeds.

Ever used a HOB or had any issues out of one? I've seen multiple DIY videos of PVC hang on's but they seem shady..

What skimmer would you recommend if I was building a 10g sump w/ a refugium and internal return pump?

No problem! (y) I actually had a few of the same questions I've been researching up regarding a sump. I don't have a sump on this tank. But I was looking into doing a HOB overflow and a 10 gallon under the stand. I have seen the PVC designs and they do look sketchy but I think if you do it right it can be done and work quite effectively.

I have a HOB refugium that I made. I bought a small breeder box with 3 dividers and I have some cheato and have a pump that creates a steady flow. It's working really well.

Also the skimmer I have on the tank is this:

Amazon.com: Aquarium Nano Skimmer II: Pet Supplies

I actually really like it, its affordable and does the job well. :D

That looks like a pretty good skimmer, I've always used reef octopus skimmers so you can check those out to. Can't really be to much help on hob overflows as I've never used one (always seemed to sketchy to me) I just drilled both my 40b's. Fwiw I have 2 20g that I run with out sumps just hob skimmer and power filter to run media, 1 has been running almost 6 years now and the other just over 2.

So in y'all's opinions... Would I be better off with a 10g sump system (the skimmer above^^, a refugium, and return pump) using either a HOB overflow box or a PVC, OR just running that skimmer in tank(I think it can be used as HOB) with a dual GFO/Carbon reactor?

I'm also thinking I'm going to take all the floss/pads out of my canister and turn it into one big reactor with 2 bags of purigen and 2 bags of GFO plus a bit of the ceramic bio media, would this work well or would I be better investing in the reactor and just selling the skimmer?

D

Back
Top Bottom