20 Long Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The CFL is attached to my aquaclear filter that I turned into a refugium. It is on there so that I can grow macro algae inside of it.

You might not need to order anything from BRS. They are currently stocking cicada netting which looks a lot like what BRS sells for screen netting to me. One of my local reef club memeber bought some the other day. I think he said it was $17 for a roll.

Nice corals. I'm surprised your shrimp ate the other? What kind of shrimp?

I had two peppermint shrimp, My last frag I put in they ran right over to it and started ripping it apart. I posted a thread about it and we came to the consensus that the coral may have been sick to begin with. However when I added these two frags the shrimp did the exact same thing. I had to trick them with an algae wafer in a cup and was able to remove them both. I can't justify keeping $5 shrimp that harass $40 corals :nono:

i need help on the basics and details on this, i have a regular 20gal for my bedroom i want to go sw and get a couple nice fish for my wife for it, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

i need help on the basics and details on this, i have a regular 20gal for my bedroom i want to go sw and get a couple nice fish for my wife for it, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

In a 20, I'd do 2 clowns, and maybe a mandarin dragonet if you can find one that eats frozen foods! I think you're wife would like those colorful fish!

In a 20, I'd do 2 clowns, and maybe a mandarin dragonet if you can find one that eats frozen foods! I think you're wife would like those colorful fish!

sweet, is there anywhere i can find a how-to on this..? i have a 20gal regular tank, and a 30gal hob filter it keep the water clear for months at a time for my freshwater setup i had.. i wanna use the same filter if i can.

You can use the same filter the only problem with any sort of sponge type filter is that they get dirty extremely quickly. You would have to rinse the sponge off every few days. You would probably be better off doing what I have done and just fill your filter with live rock rubble.

As far as setting up the first thing you will want to do is purchase some rock. You can get live rock from most fish stores that carry salt water stuff. You can also start with base rock which is cheaper and pest free. You want to aim for 2 pounds of rock per gallon but sometimes it is hard to fit that much in a smaller tank. You can google curing dry rock for salwater aquariums to see if you want to go that route.

You can use the same filter the only problem with any sort of sponge type filter is that they get dirty extremely quickly. You would have to rinse the sponge off every few days. You would probably be better off doing what I have done and just fill your filter with live rock rubble.

As far as setting up the first thing you will want to do is purchase some rock. You can get live rock from most fish stores that carry salt water stuff. You can also start with base rock which is cheaper and pest free. You want to aim for 2 pounds of rock per gallon but sometimes it is hard to fit that much in a smaller tank. You can google curing dry rock for salwater aquariums to see if you want to go that route.

sponge filter meaning literally a sponge..? mine runs a large filter cartridge with carbon in it and a hard plastic frame, plus i swap filters once a week dirty or not.. also, do i have to cycle it..? and for how long..? what else do i need..? i have all my water changing and maintenance equipment already, and i only want a few fish in it maybe 3 or so to keep it simple. corals im not sure yet, but i definitely wanna do this (y)

Yea any kind of filter that uses a sponge or filter floss for mechanical filtration like the one you have end up being a pain.

You will have to cycle it even if you start off with live rock, the amount of time it tanks just depends. You will also need a heater and whatever substrate you want to use. Either sand or aragonite. I have aragonite in my tank.

You will also only want to use ro/di water and a high quality salt mix. A clean container to mix saltwater in and a powerhead to mix it. A clean container to hold your ro/di water that you will be using for top offs when water evaporates from your tank(you will likely have to add fresh water on a daily basis)

Yea any kind of filter that uses a sponge or filter floss for mechanical filtration like the one you have end up being a pain.

You will have to cycle it even if you start off with live rock, the amount of time it tanks just depends. You will also need a heater and whatever substrate you want to use. Either sand or aragonite. I have aragonite in my tank.

You will also only want to use ro/di water and a high quality salt mix. A clean container to mix saltwater in and a powerhead to mix it. A clean container to hold your ro/di water that you will be using for top offs when water evaporates from your tank(you will likely have to add fresh water on a daily basis)

whats do/ri water..? and whats aragonite..?

Ro/di is reverse osmosis de-ionized water. It is basically very clean water that everything has been pulled out of. Most local fish stores sell it for around 50 cents per gallon. You can also get your own unit for around $150 from bulkreefsupply.com If neither of those are an option I have heard that you can use water from the machines that you find like outside of wal mart.

Aragonite is a fine gravel type substrate for marine use.

Ro/di is reverse osmosis de-ionized water. It is basically very clean water that everything has been pulled out of. Most local fish stores sell it for around 50 cents per gallon. You can also get your own unit for around $150 from bulkreefsupply.com If neither of those are an option I have heard that you can use water from the machines that you find like outside of wal mart.

Aragonite is a fine gravel type substrate for marine use.

supposedly my lfs sells premixed saltwater if im not mistaken, if i am its probably the ro/di you speak of, how much live rock do i need and what do i do next..? is there a salinity ratio i need to get too..?

You want to aim for 2 pounds of live rock per gallon of water. So once you get your rock you can scape the tank however you like. Then you can add your substrate and a circulation pump/powerhead and heater. Fill it with water and let it cycle. I did a fishless cycle because it is way easier and you don't have to do as many water changes(which aren't free like a freshwater tank)

You want to get yourself a hydrometer or a refractometer(more accurate) and get your salinity to 1.022-1.025 specific gravity.

You want to aim for 2 pounds of live rock per gallon of water. So once you get your rock you can scape the tank however you like. Then you can add your substrate and a circulation pump/powerhead and heater. Fill it with water and let it cycle. I did a fishless cycle because it is way easier and you don't have to do as many water changes(which aren't free like a freshwater tank)

You want to get yourself a hydrometer or a refractometer(more accurate) and get your salinity to 1.022-1.025 specific gravity.

What salt do I use..? And you said before I need a power head to mix it, how long do I mix it..?

Back
Top Bottom