20G Nano - Going Reef!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

etoja

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
20G Going Reef!

I currently have 20g tank with 3in of gravel, 4 pounds of live rock, one clown, one shrimp and one mushroom coral, which I was running for about 2 years. I've decided to go reef and grow more corals so I will have to upgrade current equipment. (Can't really afford bigger tank at this point)

My current setup: Penguin 150 filter, Heater and thermometer :))) Oh, and a T8 light bulb under the hood. Yeah it's lame, i know :))

My questions for you gurus:
1) Is it even realistic to try to keep 20 reef tank for someone who never maintained corals before? Or should I give up on that whole idea and have it as a FOWLR until I can afford larger tank+equipment?

2) I know I need better lights, protein skimmer and air circulation pump. Anything else? How is Penguin 150 for corals - is it good enough? Also, what is a good protein skimmer that is not loud - the tank is right next to the couch, I tried SeaClone 100 and it was so loud I could barely hear the TV so I had to return it.

3) How many corals will fit in 20g "comfortably" assuming I only have 2-3 fish in the tank.

I'd love to hear your thought and advice! I will be putting updates here as I get my new equipment/corals with some pictures. So excited!!

Attachments

• IMG_2267.jpg
    IMG_2267.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2268.jpg
    IMG_2268.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2269.jpg
    IMG_2269.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 78
Back
Top Bottom