20g w/ sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steez

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys!

I recently posted about setting up a new 10g, but I decided to ditch the 10g and go with a 20g to start off. I got this setup today and got it running tonight. It's still a bit cloudy but you can get an idea! I'm going to fill it up with more rocks as it progresses, but I think I'm off to a good start. I have 12lbs live rock in the 20 and 8lbs base rock in the sump. I have a couple slabs of slate blocking the bigger particles from getting to my return pump. I have my Aqueon 100W heater in the sump as well as my AQ30 down in the sump to help with filtration.

All of the live rock has been in a 400G tank and has been established for about a year, lots of algae growth on it.

I'll keep this thread updated. My next step is going to be a bunch of hermit crabs and some snails, then my shrimp and lastly my anenomes and fish. I'm going to take my time and add them slowly.

It will probably be a while before it's all up, I'm excited! My first SW tank. :)

Attachments

• 2011-11-10 17.37.30.jpg
    2011-11-10 17.37.30.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 2011-11-10 17.37.37.jpg
    2011-11-10 17.37.37.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 2011-11-10 17.37.14.jpg
    2011-11-10 17.37.14.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 131
I agree. Looks nice and Congrats. Hope ya have fun with sw. I have had a blast since I started mine

That's what happened to me. Started with a 14 and 29 biocube. Have a 125 cycling now for a reef. And bout to finish piecing stuff together for a 125 fowlr lol

Thanks guys.

I'm sure I'll want bigger, but I'm starting a new job at a local SW store so I'll have my huge tank fix. Get to work with all kinds of 200-600G tanks :)

I'm more worried that SW is going to take over and I'll change one of my existing tanks to SW. lol

steez said:
Thanks guys.

I'm sure I'll want bigger, but I'm starting a new job at a local SW store so I'll have my huge tank fix. Get to work with all kinds of 200-600G tanks :)

I'm more worried that SW is going to take over and I'll change one of my existing tanks to SW. lol

I still love my fw too. My cichlids are very entertaining. Wouldn't think of getting rid of em. I don't think ya have to worry bout switch in em all but ya never know

I tested the water today.

2011-11-11 13.52.26.jpg

This is using the FW Api Master Test Kit. I've read mixed reviews on if it works for SW or not. The Ammonia test is very cloudy, I'm guessing from the salt, but are they accurate?

NitrAtes are high, but that's expected. I took water from the live rock tank to get some buildup. I'll do a 100% water change with RO/DI water before adding anything major.

UPDATE!

About 5 days ago I got my red tip hermits and snails. I put about half of them in the tank and the rest in the sump.

Yesterday I got my anenome, baby true perc clown and scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp.The shrimp likes to hide under the rock right now, but I'll get some pics of him when I can.

2011-11-19 15.43.05.jpg
2011-11-19 15.44.13.jpg

It's a 20g tank with about 6 more gallons in the sump. 26g of water total. I don't know what else I want to add yet. I was thinking about a second clown, but leaning towards something like a Coral Beauty or Flame Angel. I'm going to keep it at probably 3 fish total, Clown, ??, Goby. I'm not sure yet what Goby I want either.

Another update!

Tonight I got 6 more additions plus some more live rock. Red mushrooms, green mushrooms, etc..

After a week or two I'm going to add a pygmy angel, I found a beautiful yellow/purple angel that will work in my tank. I believe it was a Atlantic Pygmy Angelfish. My third addition (after a week or two with the new angel) will be a Kaudern Cardinal. Maybe adding one very small goby afterwards.

Here's some pictures of the new additions.
2011-11-19 20.54.47.jpg

2011-11-19 20.54.59.jpg

2011-11-19 20.55.05.jpg

2011-11-19 20.57.11.jpg

You really need to return the anemone,your tank is in no way established enough to even try to keep one.

I've put my trust into a local SW stores owner about how fast and what to add. He's been testing the water and sold me everything for the setup. I'm experienced with FW tanks and he explained it like this: Adding the established live rock, established substrate and water will pretty much insta cycle your tank like using an established filter in a FW tank. It was about 1 1/2 weeks before I added anything. I would be scared to hear if someone immediately adding fish/etc to a FW tank, but if they are using the same substrate, filter media, partial water, etc. than there's usually no problem with it. As long as you are keeping your parameters in check.

I'm curious... if my water conditions are good, and all the material in the tank HAVE been established in other tanks for a long time. Why are you telling me to return it?

What am I not understanding here? I dosed it with 2ppm ammonia before adding them, it was gone in under 24 hours.

My lighting is two 15" T8's.

Anemones don't handily any fluctuation very well. Even w/ established components ur bound to have sum fluctuation b/c every tank is different. Get ur particular system figured out then afer 6 months to a year get the anemone.

A nem is a very special creature and one of the most demanding in saltwater. All tanks go through ups and downs with their parameters for maybe a year or so so it's best to put one in an established tank.

The lighting is far from enough. A minimum of a 4 bulbs t5 light setup is necessary to keep one. Even 4 t8's probably wouldnt be enough to keep much coral let alone a nem.

Also I've always heard & agree that unless ur a pro in SW u should keep an anemone in anything under 55g do to the fluctuation do to evaporation & other factors

Hmm i don't think the size matters as much as the lighting or stability of the water. :) I've seen nems in very small tanks and they can do well. Just under the right circumstances.

steez said:
I've put my trust into a local SW stores owner about how fast and what to add. He's been testing the water and sold me everything for the setup. I'm experienced with FW tanks and he explained it like this: Adding the established live rock, established substrate and water will pretty much insta cycle your tank like using an established filter in a FW tank. It was about 1 1/2 weeks before I added anything. I would be scared to hear if someone immediately adding fish/etc to a FW tank, but if they are using the same substrate, filter media, partial water, etc. than there's usually no problem with it. As long as you are keeping your parameters in check.

I'm curious... if my water conditions are good, and all the material in the tank HAVE been established in other tanks for a long time. Why are you telling me to return it?

My lighting is two 15" T8's.

Anemones need strong lighting and constant pristine water parameters to have a chance.I don't think the T-8's are enough,but mainly any reef tank does not get fully established to Even try an anemone until it has been up and running for at least a year.
I understand the allure of the anemone,but very few actually survive very long even in well established aquariums.
When an anemone dies in an aquarium it can nuke your whole tank if you don't get it out in time.
Your local SW store is in business to sell.
Maybe some others will chime in.

I got one when I first started and after 2 months I returned it. No credit. Just didn't want the risk of it in my tank. I still don't have a nem and the only one I would consider is a mini maxi anemone. Doesn't get much larger than 5 inches, and doesnt eat fish. At least big ones. :)

Back
Top Bottom