20L Nano Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nytelighter

Aquarium Advice Activist
So after having a 55 Gal Freshie for about the past year and researching like crazy on this site about SW, I've finally decided to try my hand at a nano tank. My endstate is to eventually turn it into a reef but I'll be taking baby steps towards that. Petco has that awesome $1 per gallon sale so I snatched up a 20L to start my project. Hopefully with all the experience around here on this site, I can get input to help me build an awesome tank. I'll be posting pics of my progress as well as posting questions to get inputs on certain aspects of the build. Here is the empty canvas.
img_2154198_0_c963dc0a377ecdd2812d43f35e8b7fdf.jpg
[/IMG]

Awesome! Really want to see this come to life. Keep us updated and I'll try and help with anything I can and I'm sure others would love to express their opinions/give advice.

Thanks obscure. Just got done painting the background black today. My next step is finding plans for building a tank stand for a 20L. Any suggestions?

img_2164684_0_35929f20613ec621551799755d073c0a.jpg

Here is my progress on the stand so far. I think she will hold up just fine. I'll work on closing her up this weekend and then the focus will be on getting the tank ready for cycling.

Looks great! What size wood did you use for making it? What are you using for the doors or not making a traditional cabinet door? I'd like to see how this turns b/c I might do a DIY stand soon :D

I used 2X3 studs to make the frame. Looking to make it into a traditional stand using plywood to make the doors and close up the sides, with some moulding on the doors and around the top where the tank sits so it will look recessed. Not too expensive at all except I had to purchase a couple tools but I don't mind because I needed some new toys anyway :lol:

Looking to start purchasing pieces to put my tank together. Had a questions on power heads. For a 20L, should I go with two Koralia 425s or should I do one 425 and one 240?

Nytelighter said:
Looking to start purchasing pieces to put my tank together. Had a questions on power heads. For a 20L, should I go with two Koralia 425s or should I do one 425 and one 240?

I use two koralia 425's on my 20 long. Petmountain.com had them cheaper than anybody else, and then Marine depot price matched then.

Thanks man. I went to Pet Mountain and ordered two Koralia 425s, an Aquaclear 50, and Coralife HO T5 (30 Inch). Looking at getting an 4 Stage RO/DI and Refractometer from BRS. Any advice on what brand/type of substrate to go with?

I use caribsea aragonite sand. Forgot the exact size, but it is closest to sugar fine. Wouldn't recommend sugar fine sand though...have it in my refugium and it blows easily with really low flow and just gets everywhere.

Cool, I'm still debating on what to get. Anyways, I ordered the Four Stage Plus RO/DI, 20 lbs of Pukani Dry Live Rock, and Refractometer from BRS. Almost done with my stand too!!!

img_2208762_0_f951d277d80b5919777f3e8c3535a4b0.jpg

img_2208762_1_7b5eab67f1b48b5ca32d73d2e0d85d58.jpg

So finally have an update. Tank stand is almost completed. All that's left are the doors and the subfloor inside. I bought a Brute 20 Gallon and mixed up my saltwater for 48 hours at 1.025. Put my aquascape together with a little help from JB Weld Waterweld...stuff worked like a charm. Tank now has about 30lbs of Caribsea Fiji Pink Aragonite sand, about 15 lbs of BRS dry Pukani (the rest will be live rock from LFS), two Koralia 425, Aquaclear 50, and Aqueon heater.

Anyone know if I should run carbon is the aquaclear?

I put the carbon then purigen but I don't see the difference

Okay, makes sense. Also should I added 7 lbs of live rock and a shrimp to start my cycle. Should I be running carbon during my cycle?

You dont need it during your cycle and it would be a waste. Some people never run it. I do though in a BRS reactor

Tank has been cycling for about a week now and my pH is still registering at 7.8. I've read that it needs to be more around 8.2 to 8.4. Do I need to add anything to get the pH up?

Back
Top Bottom