24 Gal Nano Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PAUL12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking at a 24 gal nano
Which tank is better and why
24 gal JBJ compact lighting OR 24 gal Aquapod compact lighting

I have had the JBJ 12 and 24. The are decent tanks but need a heater and some additional water movement if you want to make it into a reef. I'm not sure if the other nanos have this problem but the 24 we had cracked along the bend in the glass. They apparently have some issues with this because of the stress up on the glass when they bend it. If you have the cash i have heard a whole lot of good things about the red sea max tank. It has all the equipment you would need to make a nice reef including a decent micro skimmer built into the back. Little pricy though. Just my 2 cents though.

Yeah I priced the red sea tank and when you get down to it the price isn't all that bad considering what you get with it, you don't have to buy extra stuff, don't have to modify it later it's just a nice all in one package, if I had it to do over again I would go that way.

I dunno man, as far as the RSM is concerned I really feel like you could piece together a similar sized system from scratch with better lighting and flow for much cheaper, especially if you have a local reef club where you could find used quality equipment. When I worked at the LFS I was able to get a close look at the RSM and it was just ok for me given the price tag. I was even less impressed when the power center broke after a month of being set up at the shop and the boss had to mess around with replacing it. The company was cool about it, but still...

As far as the mid-price range nano all in ones go, I think JBJ's Nanocube 24, Current's Aquapod 24, and Oceanic's Biocube 29 are all very comparable in terms of quality and features (speaking only of the PC models, the HQI are obviously a different ballgame). If you can find a good deal on any of them, you would probably enjoy them. Regardless of the model you choose, I would recommend replacing the stock pump with a more powerful one (this is very easily done and what I did for my BC 8 gallon), ditching the bio balls for LR rubble, and possibly adding a powerhead or 2. Your heater can fit in the first filtration chamber in any of these models so you can get a nice clean look. The PC lighting on any of them is adequate for soft corals and some LPS like caulastrea and euphyllia for example. You won't have the option of SPS unless you choose the HQI models (not available for Biocube as far as I know).

Hope this helps! :)

*edit* I have heard of the cracking glass issue with JBJ brand Nanocubes. I was under the impression that this was more of an issue with earlier models and has since been addressed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Last edited:
You can undoubtedly part together a nano for cheaper. The cubes are just more packaged looking. If you are willing to part it all out then that is a whole different ball game.

I have a RedSeaMax 130 34 gal. I do like it but I have also had problems with bubbles!!!!!! Lots of bubbles!!!!!! I have been dealing with RedSea for the past couple months. Also the hood fans are loud when starting up. They have sent me several different parts, including new new fans. I may as well built it myself....ha ha. I do love the sleek look and the single power cord. It is very neat and tidy looking. Good for someone like me who is new to the whole saltwater experience! I have done my research and there is a up grade from mine(wish i knew about it sooner) its the RedSeaMax 130D 34 gal. The whole thing has been redesigned. If I knew how to attach a picture I would.

Back
Top Bottom