29 Gallon Biocube Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not a necessity but I would suggest buying some salt that encourages coral growth. Like some salt crystals or a better brand salt mix.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390968092.167164.jpg

Flow depends on fish only or reef tank as someone said. I'm building a Biocube 29 myself and the filtration I chose has been deemed best for prolonged life. I chose to do away with those long filter pads and bioballs...got a Tunze 9002 skimmer, custom inTank Media basket, seachem purigen, chemi-pure elite, and filter floss. You can buy media baskets like these here: www.mediabaskets.com

A little more expensive than those filter pads, but better for keeping pricey fish and corals alive! D:

I run a 300g skimmer. The Terminator II and it's amazing. As for bio media I only use one and I swear loyalty to it. It's called Chemi-pure Elite.

I run a 300g skimmer. The Terminator II and it's amazing. As for bio media I only use one and I swear loyalty to it. It's called Chemi-pure Elite.

I assume that the bio media is placed where the bio-balls are? And there is a pump in the next chamber. I misplaced my directions. What sort of pump is that?

Flow depends on fish only or reef tank as someone said. I'm building a Biocube 29 myself and the filtration I chose has been deemed best for prolonged life. I chose to do away with those long filter pads and bioballs...got a Tunze 9002 skimmer, custom inTank Media basket, seachem purigen, chemi-pure elite, and filter floss. You can buy media baskets like these here: www.mediabaskets.com

A little more expensive than those filter pads, but better for keeping pricey fish and corals alive! D:

Ah, thank you! What do you mean by a custom media basket and "filter floss"? And, f possible, can I see a picture of your media basket with the seachem purigen and chemi-pure elite? I'm trying to pick up the rest of my trinkets by Saturday. By the way, how's your Biocube doing? :D

I ran a 425 gph koralia on my 29g cube for years and it was perfect flow. :)

Thanks Carey! Is this a reef tank? With what stock of corals/inverts/fish? I assume that if I were to get some corals with gentle flow preferences I could keep my current power head, but I don't know if that would wreck the chemical levels. Your thoughts? By the way, thanks in advance!

Thanks for the replies, guys! Keep em' coming! If there is any more machinery I need and stocking suggestions, feel free to contribute! Thanks guys! :D I'll have a few pictures by Sunday, most likely, because it should have some water and rock in by then. I don't think that I can put corals in until a week or two from first filling up the tank, of I'm correct, unless it's inverts that come first. But do I need an airstone thingy?

You don't need an airstone in saltwater if you keep a constant flow the disruption from the top will be enough. I'm looking forward to your pictures! I though I'd add one of mine to inspire you!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391052531.734159.jpg
Now this isn't an up to date one but it'll do:) as for the skimmer think of it as a large machine that pulls all the junk and nastiness out of your water. That what this is ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391052653.550959.jpg

They come in different sizes and gallon age so it's up to you on what you'd like to do.

You wanna give coral a bit of time before putting it in in my opinion. just check you water params and when you get one get an easy one like a soft coral that is easy to maintain.

Not to be the bringer of bad news but that RO unit isnt gonna be sufficient. I would look up if your city water uses chloramines or not, i use a bulk reef supply 5 stage chloramine unit + i got for $250 at the lfs, you may not need a chloramine unit though so a good one if you dont have them is BRS 4 stage you can get for $150. Or just buy it at the lfs for $.50 a gallon

Last edited:
I would also trash those test strips, they are very inaccuret. You should get the API SW master kit, love mine.

Not to be the bringer of bad news but that RO unit isnt gonna be sufficient. I would look up if your city water uses chloramines or not, i use a bulk reef supply 5 stage chloramine unit + i got for $250 at the lfs, you may not need a chloramine unit though so a good one if you dont have them is BRS 4 stage you can get for $150. Or just buy it at the lfs for $.50 a gallon

Actually, my LFS sells water for 15$ per 3 gallons, thus making it 5.00$ a gallon. A bit much, so that's why I need the ro. By sufficient, do you mean not straining enough chemicals, or slow? Thanks for alerting me, no matter. It may have saved a lot of trouble.

Thanks for the replies! The test strips, to everyone, were quite expensive, so I'm stuck with em'. I may just keep them for backup, not sure, because I doubt that the LFS will take them back as I used one already on my tap water.

This tank is going to be reef, so I'm currently focusing on corals and inverts so that I can see if I need to return my power head or not. I assume that if I don't, I'll have to select corals that need gentle flow?

On the topic of livestock, I know that there are many sections to a coral reef, each with their own preferred amount of flow, so where would I need to focus to dry the easiest to care for corals that like the same conditions with great diversity? Thanks!

Actually, my LFS sells water for 15$ per 3 gallons, thus making it 5.00$ a gallon. A bit much, so that's why I need the ro. By sufficient, do you mean not straining enough chemicals, or slow? Thanks for alerting me, no matter. It may have saved a lot of trouble.

It doesnt take away nearly enoughe impurities to even be called an RODI system, i would give it back to the lfs and as i said, try BRS. It is expensive but will save lots of trouble. And wow!!! Thats crazy! $5 a gallon?

I would definitely up the powerhead to a 425, no matter the coral. It will give you enough flow to direct so that you dont have dead spots on your sandbed where yucky stuff can accumulate.
I think the concern with the water filter you bought is that it wont suck up enough of the nasties in tap water to actually make a difference.
Youc an also buy your water by the gallon at say walmart from their big blue water machines, about 20 or 30 cents a gallon I'm guessing.

All of my walmarts don't exactly have a fish/water/pet section. But could I add a few chemicals to the water with my RO and then the salt and be good?

Stick with a good powerful power head and get some carbon filtration to clean up toxins released by corals. And I'd consider a good skimmer maybe building a small sump? Just throwing ideas :)

Did you buy an RO unit? As the pic you posted looks just to be the DI aspect of the process. Says about making your water de ionised, so unless your tap water is crystal clear the unit won't improve your water that much

Oh, yes. It is just an add-on. Whoops! I need a super inexpensive unit. I'm probably returning that one.

Back
Top Bottom