29 gallon nano reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The way i run it, yes it does. ooks just like carbon as well, I believe its main ingredient is carbon of some kind

Ok got both of them in and got my tank all nasty from taking the carbon filter out lol but cleared up in about a hour or two an now it's crystal clear

Thanks I am trying hard for my first tank new fish black cap basslet

Attachments

• image-2199595125.jpg
    image-2199595125.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 130
A little better pic

Attachments

• image-1090899939.jpg
    image-1090899939.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 121
  • image-1350770876.jpg
    image-1350770876.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 120
Nice addition - any aggression wight the damsel? I'd be cautious if you're still planning the gramma too.

That is the gramma but yeah the damsel is nice it likes to swim and that's about it the basslet likes to chill in the rocks and sort of swims off the damsel if he gets to close

Gotcha - I knew it was in the gramma family, but whenever I hear someone say gramma I assume they mean royal gramma... Thought you were adding both ;)

No just one they say more than one basslet and they get angry so I am just keeping with one

Yeah it's called the black cap basslet forgot the fancy name for it

New mushroom

Attachments

• image-372639427.jpg
    image-372639427.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 137
So everything is going good but how do you drop nitrates

I just had the same issue. There are two ways that I heard to lower nitrates: water changes and chemicals. I went with water changes.

I was doing 15-20% weekly water changes and only maintaining the nitrate levels. After doing (2) weekly water changes at 40-50% each, my nitrates dropped from 40ppm - 5ppm. I now do 15% water changes to maintain that.

I was also informed that in a pinch, there are chemicals you can buy that will lower nitrates. People on here verified that it does work.

I'd go with a couple 50% water changes and see what happens.

if you're realy high, big water changes are the way to go for immediate results. but long term you're probably gonig to want some cheato or mangroves in your sump to eat up those nitrates.

Sounds good think I am going to go with water changes

So I have alot of brown algae that grows quite rapidly how can I bring the brown algae down an get more green purple algae

JEnelson said:
So I have alot of brown algae that grows quite rapidly how can I bring the brown algae down an get more green purple algae

If your calcium and alk levels are good you should be getting Coraline algae. The brown algae is from high phosphates and nitrates

Yeah I started feeding my fish every other day an my nitrates have shot down so I think it was a little problem of me over feeding twice a day lol now hopefully they will continue to drop and I can get rid of brown and bring in some more purple lol

Back
Top Bottom