29 gallon nano reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JEnelson

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I am starting my 29 gallon nano reef and need help. This is my first step into saltwater and I am super excited. I have my tank and rock and sand and everything set up and going threw my cycle. One problem so far I got a crossi demsel to help cycle and he ended up having ich but I am done treating that and everything is better now. The other fish I want to add is a gamma basslet and a pigmy dwarf angel and a pacciso percula clownfish comments

Pics so far

Attachments

• image-2907792889.jpg
    image-2907792889.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 336
  • image-300669198.jpg
    image-300669198.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 309
when you treated for ICH did you do it IN the main display tank or a QT? how did you treat?

well first off we raised the temp to about 83 to 84 and yeah yes main tank since there is nothing in it yet and still cycling then we used garlic extreme once a day herbtana once a day and api super ick cure and general cure every other day for about a week and in a couple of days i will have my uv sterilizer for any straglers but after the week treatment we did about an 35% water change and put new filters in

check the ingredients. if either contains copper I believe you're going to need to get the rocks out of your DT unless you don't care about keeping corals. Most Ich medications contain copper because that and hyposalinity are the only known cures for marine ICH.

Will the rocks keep the copper in them even after the treatment so i will never be able to have coral

Somebody more knowledgeable than me please chime in but yes I believe they will. Its a big deal if your tank or rock has been in contact with copper. There's a process to remove it but it's a pain. Anybody wanna chime in here?

To my knowledge copper will make your rock and sand dangerous to inverts and coral permanently. The rock absorbs the copper and slowly leaches out. One of the reasons I recommend avoiding secondhand live rock.

None of the things I used said it had copper in it but it did kill the snails I had but the hermit crabs made it

Thanks I'll have to pick some up now what do u think about the stocking of the tank

Live rock will suck up the copper without a doubt. From what I;ve read and heard that's a done deal. You supposedly can remove copper from the tank and equipment but I doubt the rock.

I didn't use any copper sulfate to treat so I should be good right

If there was no copper yea you will be ok mate.
Just keep the copper in mind and if I was you id just buy a lonely frag and see how it goes first.

Yeah that sounds like a great idea don't want to go wasting money that I can avoid it

So I rearranged my rock so it dosent fall over when I get my cuc and put my uv sterilizer in to help control any future ich problems that shouldn't appear and dose anybody know anything about chemipure and puregin from seachem

Attachments

• image-1153431708.jpg
    image-1153431708.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 155
i run purigen and chemi pure elite in two of my smaller tanks and like it. It's pretty much a carbon replacement but it seems to last much longer than carbon does. The elite version of chemipure has GFO in it to help with phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom