29gl new build tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
24% salt to water solidity. That's about what I was told it needed to be

Boolay1978 said:
24% salt to water solidity. That's about what I was told it needed to be
If you're talking about salinity, you're going to want between 28 and 34 ppt which translates into a specific gravity of 1.020-1.025. Lean closer to 33 ppt/1.025 if you want your aquarium to have corals.

Right. Well you should also get an API master test kit. This will allow you to test for nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia. You have to know where you stand with those before you can start stocking your tank

Boolay1978 said:
Will have to go out and get one of those then!

Yep, that will help you a lot. Have you ever read about cycling? There are probably some stickies on here about doing a cycle, they would help you a lot.

Boolay1978 said:
Nope I am totally new to all this

Ooo. Ok well then this is a great place to start. This is my first saltwater as well, but I've had freshwater tanks most my life so I had an idea of what's going on. Basically fish produce waste aka ammonia, then nitrites break down the ammonia, THEN nitrates break down the nitrites.
Ammonia and nitrites are very harmful to fish (and shrimp etc.) but nitrates are only harmful in large amounts. Your water changes are what keep your nitrates down.

rebelyeller89 said:
Ooo. Ok well then this is a great place to start. This is my first saltwater as well, but I've had freshwater tanks most my life so I had an idea of what's going on. Basically fish produce waste aka ammonia, then nitrites break down the ammonia, THEN nitrates break down the nitrites.
Ammonia and nitrites are very harmful to fish (and shrimp etc.) but nitrates are only harmful in large amounts. Your water changes are what keep your nitrates down.

Great explanation!! Definitely get the API saltwater master test kit!! I believe petco sells it and it's a great starter kit! Once you get a test kit, you will want to test for ammonia. I believe you said you already had some live rock in the aquarium, so it's entirely possible your cycle is beginning.

Thanks for the info, will get a testing kit over the next couple of days. Woke up this morning and have some hard pink things growing on one of the rocks?

Yep, in the first and last picture I am pretty sure that is Aptasia. Aptasia are nuisance anemones that can sting corals. Sometimes Peppermint Shrimp will eat them if they aren't too big. There are other ways to get rid of them too.

Only problem is tank is only a few days old
So
Can't really put anything in yet?

image-568390073.jpg

image-2483320722.jpg

Came back this evening and noticed some purple "fluffy" thing growing?? Any ideas?

Also better picture of the pink stuff growing on the rocks again any ideas???

5 days old now and the green algae has covered all one rock and seems to be starting on another also the white sand is starting to look a little discoloured. Is there any thing I should do or just leave it till the clean up crew can go in?

Sounds like green hair algae. A CUC will help with that and the brownish sad discoloration is a diatom outbreak, that means that the cycle is moving along. I'm in that stage now with mine.

Back
Top Bottom