3 Gal Nano Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCUboy05

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Eclipse 3 tank and flitration sitting around that I would like to turn into a nano reef. It currently has a 9in, 6 watt bulb in it which would give it a 2 watt to 1 Gal ratio. Should this ratio and blub be suitable for some corals? Also, where is the best place to buy 50/50 9in bulbs? i cant seem to find them anywhere.

I have the picotope 3 gallon. I added an additional light by Coralife. There are 2 9watt bulbs in there (50/50) as well. I believe for softies you need about 3 to 4 watts per gallon but the experts on here will know more. These tanks are small and not too deep so that helps. My biggest problem isn't lighting, it's maintaining constant heat. Temperature and water quality fluxuate way more and impact the corals. Your best bet for bulbs or additional lighting is the internet IMO. Good luck

I would recommend upgrading, there is a vast range of lighting that is suitable.
From lowest to highest:

12 inch 1x18 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Single Satellite Fixture

Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Aqualight Double Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

12 inch 2x18 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Dual Satellite Fixture

And my personal favorite:
JBJ K-2 Viper 70W HQI Clamp on Lamp Lighting Fixture
You can check my pico thread, it kicks majooorrr #$@

With the lower range you will be fine to grow any softies such as zoanthids, mushrooms, GSP

Midrange you will be able to pull of some more high light corals like digita, stylos, and the likes

With the MH on there you can do anything you want! im actually interested in getting a little clam for mine...assuming i can find space for him.

Either way as my mother (fishcrack) said, you will have to watch temperature and WQ carefully. Raising your lights off the water (ex. the current USA fixture) will help control your temp and getting a top of some kind will also help on evaporation which will help keep your levels in check. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom