3 gal picotope (build thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could change the photoperiod.

If they are LEDs ignore my
Bad lighting comment

I changed the photoperiod from 13 to 11.5 hrs.

I'm using the stock jbj lights, which aren't LEDs (but they should be ok for my tank, I think)

I don't want to say the light is going bad, but look into changing that. As they get old their color spectrum changes, and can cause algae

I don't want to say the light is going bad, but look into changing that. As they get old their color spectrum changes, and can cause algae

I sure hope the light isn't already deteriorating (it's only a month old), but I will def remember that if the situation doesn't improve. Thanks for the tip!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392180105.679455.jpg
I use these

What I would do is.
Go a week with the new photo period. Perform your routine water changes, but add in stability and prime according to your tank specs. Take off the algae by hand. See where it goes from there!

Sounds like a plan -- just ordered some stability, will get the prime tomorrow at the LFS. These will probably be useful for all my future tanks too, might as well just buy them now. Thanks for your advice!

No problem man. I'm really impressed with the tank and don't want anything to happen to it. You just have to narrow down your options for problems!

He looks great! I feed my guy 10-15 pieces every other day or when i feed everyone else. Mine was really active this morning, swimming alot more than usual.

You dont need ether of those, stability is a BB supplement which if you already cycled is useless. You should be using RODI and all prime is is a conditioner used to eliminate a few chemicals in tap water, but isnt sutible for a reef or any saltwater tank for that matter. It gunks up the water and removes about a 1/10 of what needs to be removed. Not to mention using tap will add phosphate to you tank.

Just keep up the WCs and lower your lighting period to 8hrs a day.

The stock lights Will grow HA quickly once its in the tank ive found, but you can combat it as i mentioned above :)

You dont need ether of those, stability is a BB supplement which if you already cycled is useless. You should be using RODI and all prime is is a conditioner used to eliminate a few chemicals in tap water, but isnt sutible for a reef or any saltwater tank for that matter. It gunks up the water and removes about a 1/10 of what needs to be removed. Not to mention using tap will add phosphate to you tank.

Just keep up the WCs and lower your lighting period to 8hrs a day.

The stock lights Will grow HA quickly once its in the tank ive found, but you can combat it as i mentioned above :)

That's cool... Glad to know more about both of them. I ordered prime and stability, but they were less than $2 each free shipping from eBay (no problem there :D)

Anyway, I have a freshwater tank as well, plus I might eventually setup another reef. I'm also glad to hear the photoperiod should help! Btw, I'm using RODI for top offs and wcs, just so I don't have to worry about tap water gunk.

Dude sick build what light is on their

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dude sick build what light is on their

Its the stock light, 7W 50/50 good for most softies in a small tank. (id say good up to 5G tanks depending on the height of the tank)

Last edited:
That's cool... Glad to know more about both of them. I ordered prime and stability, but they were less than $2 each free shipping from eBay (no problem there :D)

Anyway, I have a freshwater tank as well, plus I might eventually setup another reef. I'm also glad to hear the photoperiod should help! Btw, I'm using RODI for top offs and wcs, just so I don't have to worry about tap water gunk.

Great! Make sure to send me a link to your next reef! What size are you planning?

I have a pico to and was looking for a light upgrade any idia's

Its the same 3gal and I really want something that is timed or can change colores but still grow a lot

Also looking for something for my 20 gal but a LED

Par 38 is good, should grow LPS. Will work for both of your tanks, you can order the one OP has for $20 on dr. Fosters & smith for your 3g as the par will be overkill.

Back
Top Bottom