3 gal picotope (build thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello again :)

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has taken time to see, comment on, critique, and help with this tank. You guys made this tank come to life!

Hey, this is almost a year on this build!!!!

It's two weeks from being a year old and going strong, I just ordered a 120w LED panel, should be powerful enough for this tank :p and more to come.

Thanks,
Dingusplease

Also my Randall's shrimp goby has a pistol shrimp partner as of yesterday :)

They will be moving into my 55, currently in the "buying parts stage".

Haha, ya I'd say that's a bit of overkill on the 3 :p. Can't wait to see the pics of the new duo

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah it's going on the 55 eventually, for now I just need to replace my aging pc's. I might DIY an 8 led fixture for this pico, when the 55 gets up and running.

Sorry for the quality, I'll take better pics tomorrow. Amazing little creatures! You can see the goby wiggling its tail to communicate with the shrimp. You have a high fin and randalli, correct, Red?

Yep, love watching the 2. Get ready, those little buggers can really move some sand once they get going :D

Yep, love watching the 2. Get ready, those little buggers can really move some sand once they get going :D

Yeah, at this point, my sand bed has been turned over a few times at least :p
Amory (goby) constantly checks on his shrimp friend in the burrow.

I used tweezers and removed nearly every speck of anthelia today, and fragged the yellow/green toadstool. Looks a little bit emptier, but I'll be ordering some bn colonies. Just as soon as those LEDs arrive...

Yeah, at this point, my sand bed has been turned over a few times at least :p
Amory (goby) constantly checks on his shrimp friend in the burrow.

I used tweezers and removed nearly every speck of anthelia today, and fragged the yellow/green toadstool. Looks a little bit emptier, but I'll be ordering some bn colonies. Just as soon as those LEDs arrive...

So you are not recommending Anthelia for a small tank?

So you are not recommending Anthelia for a small tank?

As Mac said, it can look nice if you keep it isolated or under control (which seems to be pretty darn hard.)

In the long run I would say not to add it, since you will eventually want to replace it with nicer coral, and it can kill other corals just by growing over them.

The led panel arrives Monday, can't wait! I'm making a trip to a new lfs in Peoria tomorrow, they have some really nice aussie acans.

Also, I'm ordering some larger (2"-3" inches) sps frags. I've done research on each, but if anyone has comments I'm happy to hear!

Here's the list:

Horrida Acro
Blue Tip Green Stag
ORA Indo Purple Tip Stag
Tricolor Validate Acro
"Stuber Staghorn" Acro

All those are pretty easy stag type acros. The tricolor is a bit more bushy but all are pretty easy as far as acros go :)

Thanks Bribo! I'm really looking forward to getting some Sps growing with the new lights.

On a side note, is there a good way to get rid of Xenia? I don't want to just kill it with kalk or lemon juice, but I do want to start thinning out the softies to make room for sps.

Kill it with kalk :p! Sps are the best...rephrase acropora are the best lol

If you're looking from some rarer Acros.. I just got a guy down here...
GARF Bonsai, Most of ORA ACROS, $500 Efflo, Tyree Anything Basically... And the best part is, it's like $40 off normal value. ;).. Once I get some growing I'll be sending it your way.

Kill it with kalk :p! Sps are the best...rephrase acropora are the best lol

I got it out with tweezers :). They were individual colonies with no mats to worry about.

Also....

I got some nice sps mini-colonies from reef obsessions near Peoria IL, for $30 each!

Edit: since there's not much scale in the pics, they're all about 2" or 3" tall and wide.

If you're looking from some rarer Acros.. I just got a guy down here...
GARF Bonsai, Most of ORA ACROS, $500 Efflo, Tyree Anything Basically... And the best part is, it's like $40 off normal value. ;).. Once I get some growing I'll be sending it your way.

I saw you picked up that Bonsai, they look incredible! Really nice purples and greens.

Also, what makes corals rare? Hardiness? Rare mutation?

I wouldn't call any any named corals rare anymore. They're "rare" because they're less hardy and ten to be very nice looking. Ones like $500 efflo, purple monster, Hawkins Echinata, a lot of deep water acros tend to be considered r"rare".

Back
Top Bottom