3 gal picotope (build thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks dingus! Yea they get pretty big when they are eating. I always sit and watch it pull food in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Very fun to watch :) I didn't realize they could have multiple mouths either.

Your tank looks awesome! That slipper is soo huge in this tank! :)

Thanks paul! Yeah it's the biggest thing in there :). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be loving the high light levels I run for the sps - I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Also, I traded the blue steel hammer + baby Ricordea for:
- Orange pavona frag
- A few bits of orange monti cap
- Blye Sympodium

I took the slipper back to my lfs because it wasn't doing very well under the high lighting, even on the sandbed. I might eventually find another smaller plate, but for now I exchanged it for something more suited to the lighting:

Sorry about the over-blue photos! The problem is when I turn down the blues, pics come out looking brown with weird blue spots.

Sorry the slipper didn't work out but that chalice is awesome! Hollywood Stunner?

Keep an eye on it, chalices can be mean and send out long sweepers.

Wow, that thing is huge! Is that where you are planning on keeping it? If you have some reefer buds in the area and that piece is working out you should frag some eyes off for them to get some other pieces you are wanting to prevent it from growing into the front glass.

Sorry the slipper didn't work out but that chalice is awesome! Hollywood Stunner?

That seems to be it! Thanks for the id, and I might have to send out some frags of it and the digi when it gets warm :p

Wow, that thing is huge! Is that where you are planning on keeping it? If you have some reefer buds in the area and that piece is working out you should frag some eyes off for them to get some other pieces you are wanting to prevent it from growing into the front glass.

I thought it was a good exchange for the slipper :). I propped it up on some rock bits, but I'm still not sure about the placement - my goal is for it to resemble a monti or some sort of tabling growth pattern.

I thought it was a good exchange for the slipper :). I propped it up on some rock bits, but I'm still not sure about the placement - my goal is for it to resemble a monti or some sort of tabling growth pattern.

Looks good but real estate is super precious in this size of a tank!

Looks good but real estate is super precious in this size of a tank!

That's definitely my main problem with the tank size - placement is hard and there's very little open space.

But I think I've found a place for the chalice (I adjusted it from last night). In the moving process I broke off a sliver, so now I have my first chalice frag :)

In other news this thing is making new polyps every other day lol:

And the pocci is encrusting

Thanks red, and you were right about this sweepers! The chalice is a carpet of them lol. Luckily none of them can reach any other pieces, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Ya they can really send them out, it's kind of cool as long as it can't reach anything.

I like the closeup on the chalice, nice photo. Looking good.

Thanks, I thought it was cool to see the little nodes individually, kinda looks like a fractal!

Also, how far do you keep that galaxea of yours from the other corals? I'm a little worried about my pocci near the chalice, it's about 2" and the sweepers are 3". The sweepers luckily flow sideways, so they don't make contact with the pocci (yet)

Thanks, I thought it was cool to see the little nodes individually, kinda looks like a fractal!

Also, how far do you keep that galaxea of yours from the other corals? I'm a little worried about my pocci near the chalice, it's about 2" and the sweepers are 3". The sweepers luckily flow sideways, so they don't make contact with the pocci (yet)

My galaxea is out of range of everything. I have a monti and symposium close by, but actually under the galaxea. The galaxea is up at the highest point on that side of the tank. Those sweepers pack quit the punch though!

Just keep the flow like it is. The sweepers should stay away from the pocci. Btw the tanks looking great dingus! That chalice is sweet looking!

Back
Top Bottom