3 gal picotope (build thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry about that, my internet is being slow for some reason and nothing will upload. I'll try again in like 5-10 mins

cool!. I'm pretty much new to saltwater and I want to setup a fish only tank. What kind of filter is that? I really like that it's so small. And what kind of fish is that? I think that's the kind I'll be getting :)

The filter comes stock with the jbj picotope (it's pretty good, but I also have a refugium with carbon), and the fish is a green clown goby.

Hey guys,

Here are the first pics of my 5.5g DIY sump :) still drying the silicone. I'm gravity feeding from my main tank, and buying a return pump tomorrow. I think it will really help my tank to not have all the equipment in the main display.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390780892.190428.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390780921.018203.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390780952.667255.jpg

Hey guys,

Here are the first pics of my 5.5g DIY sump :) still drying the silicone. I'm gravity feeding from my main tank, and buying a return pump tomorrow. I think it will really help my tank to not have all the equipment in the main display.

Looks cool, wish i could do a sump on mine but its in my room and on my desk so theres really no option. Lol the sumps bigger than the tank, usually not the case!

Still gonna have the HOB on the sump?

This should be cool.
Are you gonna drill the tank or do a HOB overflow?

Looks cool, wish i could do a sump on mine but its in my room and on my desk so theres really no option. Lol the sumps bigger than the tank, usually not the case!

Still gonna have the HOB on the sump?

This should be cool.
Are you gonna drill the tank or do a HOB overflow?

Still figuring out the plan... I'll post details as soon I figure it out. I'm open to suggestions! I'm pretty sure I won't drill... too much hassle

I have a problem! When I checked on it this morning my Anthelia was doing great. But now it looks dead! It has some black patches and is very small/wilted. I have no idea what happened. The ph has dropped about 0.2 as is usual during night time, but I do have a nitrate problem (in the past few days, I have been cutting back on feeding, because my nitrate shot up to 30 one day! I did a 10% water change and have been doing that every 12-24 hours for 2 days. Is this my problem? My test kit shows about 15 nitrate right now, and all he other creatures look perfectly healthy.)

Pictures of my anthelia (sorry about the lighting, this is under my moonlight)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390793595.646708.jpg

I'll post better pics tomorrow. I hope there's something I can do!

Yea, sorry I forgot to post but I added a 6400k moonlight about two days ago. I'm doing .5g wc tonight and tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

Hello again,

Today I'm planning on setting up my sump. I have a question though. Could I just connect a hose to the intake of my hob refugium? My 1/2in hose would fit perfectly. I was wondering if I could just siphon water through there, instead of finding a overflow box that fits on my tank with everything else.

I got a 150gph pump today, and checked my sump for leaks.. everything looks good. I have 2 gallons of sw mixed and will mix prob about 1-2 more gallons tonight. Come back for updates!

If i didn't know better I would think there was a pipe cleaner in my rock ;)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390948727.447165.jpg

Hello again,

Today I'm planning on setting up my sump. I have a question though. Could I just connect a hose to the intake of my hob refugium? My 1/2in hose would fit perfectly. I was wondering if I could just siphon water through there, instead of finding a overflow box that fits on my tank with everything else.

I got a 150gph pump today, and checked my sump for leaks.. everything looks good. I have 2 gallons of sw mixed and will mix prob about 1-2 more gallons tonight. Come back for updates!

Can you take a pic of the intake?

I can't buy anything at the moment, but I do have 3/4 and 1 in. hoses. Would those work? I'll have some money to use for my reef soon lol

Back
Top Bottom